General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to store or put in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default to store or put in the garage

here it is DEC already and still riding. but we know that bad weather is around the corner. the local HD deal will store the bike for $350, which also includes some xtras, free pickup, oil change, etc.

but................

its 350. there is no in/out privileges.

but..............

the garage is cold, not heated. i park a car there also, so you do have the collected snow/ice/wet/salty stuff that collected in the wheel wells that falls off and adds xtra moisture etc in the garage.

but..............

i do have new oil, a full tank of gas, sea foam added, covered with breathable cover, a work light under neath and a small fan moving the air. the tricle charger is connnected. and i do clean out that icey/salty junk when i can.

so...................

how much better, really, is it to have the dry, heated, storage.

how much better is it to have it in war

Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Led Zeppelin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally store in my own heated garage. I don't like the idea of not having my bikes to ride whenever I want. I've had many a nice days pop up during winter, an I'm in MN. Plus the other down side is, when do you get your bike back from storage. When you want it or when they get to it? I'm not sure if your garage is insulated, but you could get a heater for what you would spend on storage.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Well I don't get quite as bad a winter as you do in Chicago, but we still get snow, cold, ice, etc. I keep mine in the garage plugged into the trickle charger with a cover on it. As long as there's no snow or ice, there's a good chance I'm going to be riding especially when you get those really nice days in winter.

The only way I would ever pay to store mine is if I didn't have a garage to keep it in. I always assumed most that payed for storage didn't have a indoor place to put it.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
snook592
Club Member

dude the garage doesn't have to be heated. There is no water to freeze. Its a Harley and it won't melt. Keep it in your garage and ride it when it is nice. I know you get nice days in the winter too.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:19 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine stays in my un heated garage with basic fire & theft on it. I cant keep my hands off the friggin thing for any amount of time anyways. You also get to tinker with it while your sippin' a coolie! nothing will be damaged by it sitting in the cold because it is still sheltered!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Both my bikes spend the winter in an unheated wooden shed with a trickle charger and no covers. The only "winterizing" I do is change the oil sometime in November to 10W-40. The 'Train got ridden about 2,000 miles last winter, I'm planning on doing that much a month on the both of them this winter.

As long as the roads aren't icy, I'm riding.

Believe it or not, these bikes aren't fragile. They don't need heated garages or any sort of fancy and elaborate winterizing.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 PM
WoodsHog
Tourer

I'm storing mine in my unheated but insulated garage.Seafoam in the gas and plugged in to a battery tender.Put the cover on it and its in a Motojacket.It's basically a tarp with a zipper.If I want to get it out I can.Didn't like the idea of having the dealer store it.No in and out privileges plus it had to be removed by March 31.They also stated that they weren't responsable for theft or any damage.No thanks,I'll keep it at home!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Keep it in your garage.

I keep mine in my garage with no cover, no trickle charge/battery tender, no fresh oil change. Oh, wait a minute, I'm in south Texas and may want to ride at any time.

But seriously. Keep it in your garage.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in NE Ohio, I will have mine out for some riding every month this winter. I don't store my car in the winter, I'm not storing my bike. Sunny days, I'll be on the road.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has spent 7 winters in an unheated garage, and everything is fine. Just take the normal precautions. I'd recommend Stabil in the gas as opposed to Sea Foam. Sea Foam is great when riding and running through the system, but I don't think it has the stabilization characteristics to keep fuel from going bad and clogging injectors and/or jets in carbs. Just my choice, and it's worked over lots and lots of winters.

Quick Reply: to store or put in the garage