General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbing gloves not as warm as I thought they'd be(?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

My gloves never get as war as I would like. I have them plugged into the sleeves of the jacket and they jacket will get so hot I have to turn it down but the gloves are much cooler.

This was on the orginal G3's I bought new last year and also on the new T5's I just purchased and tried this last weekend.

I'm told that if you wire them direct (not to the sleeves of the jacket) and they have their own thermostat control that they get a lot warmer.

Much better none at all for sure.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
dlnp22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke with Gerbing this morning. It being "busy season" for warranty/repairs..their turn time is 6 weeks

HOWEVER, I just realized, my gloves are the "Classic" model(not the brand new ones on the site). Are their known issues with this previous model?

I'm going to just push on through the winter with them and address it when I no longer need them next year. In the interim, I might see how it goes with my under armour glove liners on inside the Gerbing gloves. Maybe the UA liners will hold on to the heat and help with the finger tips better.

Dissapointed......

Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 AM
ConvertHead
5th Gear

I have the new microwire G3 gloves powered thru a jacket liner. Dual portable stat. Gloves have their own seperate control thru the stat. Mine get toasty on about half range @ 32F. That is riding @ 70mph.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

Originally Posted by dlnp22
Just got a set of new gloves(new as in never used, they look like one of the models from the last 2 years).

I keep hearing that these gloves get so hot, that alot of folks have to install a temp control, or have to switch off on occasion.

I didn't have that problem at all.

They absolutely have juice, they warm up a bit before I take off, but when I'm riding(even in 40 degree weather), I can't feel the warmth at all. It's just not cold, with a couple of my finger tips still getting a little nippy.

Brand new battery on a 91 FLSTF, as well. Think it's the gloves??

Thanks in advance, all!
You have the Gerbing model or the HD model as I have experinace and also friends that have experiance that the HD models do not get as hot. You can send them back to Gerbing and they will add heating elements, give them a call.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

My Gerbing gloves are at least 10 years old now. It's been a while since I actually plugged them in but I still use them as my warm weather gloves. Here on the Texas Gulf Coast, it rarely gets anywhere near the 30's temp wise (thankfully!) but I have used them on road trips away from home where it approached the upper 30's. Anyway, I wasn't impressed with how much the gloves warmed up until I realized that the heating elements were in the outer sides of the gloves. When I'm gripping the handlebars snuggly, which I tend to do if my hands are cold, I wasn't feeling the heat that much. A little, but not much. Finally, I relaxed my hands a bit and the tops of my fingers made contact with the outer lining of the glove and they were blessedly warm. Not hot, but comfortable.

I don't know of that's still an issue with the modern versions but was wondering if this might still be the case for some of you?

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased the new T-5 gloves, heated insoles and dual controller and
mine do not get hot. The couple times I've worn them so far I've been very comfortable,
but I had both dials turned all the way up. When I'm stopped, I can feel the gloves
heating up quite a bit more so I'm loosing a lot of heat through windchill.

I've thought about bringing them back to the shop where I bought them for a test,
but haven't done so. I just don't know how hot they are supposed to get so I'm
not sure if there's a problem or not.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 PM
dlnp22
Tourer

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
Finally, I relaxed my hands a bit and the tops of my fingers made contact with the outer lining of the glove and they were blessedly warm. Not hot, but comfortable.
You may have nailed it. I notice, letting up on my grip and extending/stretching my fingers out, my fingers would push into the glove more and I'd finally feel SOMEthing. Until I can send them back in, again, I might use my UA liners just so they could pick up some more of the heat.

Also, I'm assuming the HD model would say Harley Davidson on it? Mine say Gerbing. This picture link is the same model that I have- http://www.harleydavidsonadventures....cle-gloves.jpg

Last edited by dlnp22; 12-01-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:10 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I've ridden with my G3's in the upper 30's and never had the temp controller much above 50-60%. Remember as well, that many of the bagger riders have their hands protected by a faring where the wind chill factor is significantly less.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a set of Widder electric gloves, with the same result. Took em back. For $100+ they ought to work. I'm looking at Gerbing now, but I'm going directly to the factory in case they aren't what I really want.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

There's a huge difference between riding with a fairing and riding without. In the high 30s on Saturday I was running the gloves, jacket liner, and overpants at around 30% on the Night Train. This morning on the Limited it was 29 when I left the house and my gear wasn't plugged in.

Quick Reply: Gerbing gloves not as warm as I thought they'd be(?)