General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 AM
take 5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlackBastard
I have two friends that bought rental bikes from Salt Lake HD. One was a SG, the other a RK Custom. Both bikes have been trouble-free for over 10,000 miles.

What's the difference between buying a used rental bike and a used bike? What if you're buying a used bike from the yahoo that rode the rental bike like a bat out of hell? At least he/she only rode the rental bike for a week or so! The truth is, you really never know what you're going to get out of a used bike. Maybe it was a lemon from the get-go. Maybe it'll last forever. Who knows?? I don't believe one can label every rental bike out there a POS that's totally ragged out. No chance.

If you find a great deal and it "feels" like a good deal, I say go for it! Trust your first instinct!
Thanks for the input, most used bike don't usually come with warranty? I have heard some guys have trouble with a new bike from the get go, maybe there all "lemons" some just better then the other.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cmcelrod
People treat rentals like red headed step children, I know I did when I went to vegas and rented one 2 years ago. Would recommend staying away also
Yep, I beat the **** outta rentals. So do most people.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
take 5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cmcelrod
People treat rentals like red headed step children, I know I did when I went to vegas and rented one 2 years ago. Would recommend staying away also
Looking at getting a price on a 2009 RKC and SG, guess I don't want a red headed step child in the Family!!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 PM
take 5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
would you want a wife who used to be a *****?
hey! I guess a virgin scooter is better! Looking at getting a price on some 09's, RKC and SG.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Based on the rental cars I've driven...I'd stay away from a rental bike.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although not all renters may not beat the rental, some will steal parts from them. Mine was missing the cigarette lighter and the locking part of the saddle bag lock. Also check for damage to the engine guard, if it is scratched you might get a better deal because it was dropped at one point.

But I agree with an earlier post that those saying stay away from the rentals are not owers of rentals. And it might depend also on want model you are looking at, touring models may have been rode much easier than the V-rods or sportsters which are meant to be rode hard and fast.

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 12-05-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 AM
dumpsterj
Cruiser

i bought mine just a couple months ago , bike only had around 1100 miles or so. got a free backrest (was ordered for the bike but never installed) and free installation on a couple parts i wanted (slip ons, road glide shocks , etc) all for about 4-5k under new including accessories. So far the bike has been great , i love it , i hate to sound all wimpy and say its changing my life but it is.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:52 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dumpsterj
i hate to sound all wimpy and say its changing my life but it is.
Not being wimpy at all dumpsterj. The H-D experience in no BS.

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 12-05-2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM
newbietroller
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 2009 rental electraglide classic in October of this year. It had 8400 miles on it, and had cruise, security, and tour pack luggage rack. I looked at the service records, and also found out that renters had to pay $2,000 deposit on their credit card. The dealer also broke it in. I got this bike for less than the 06 and 07 used bikes I was looking at. I wasn't afraid to get a newer bike with a full 2 year warranty.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

My '06 Fatboy was a retired rental. I got a smoking deal on it, but I did know the bike tipped over at some point during it's rental span. The engine guard had some light scrapes at the bottom corner, and the primary had some gouges underneath as well. No sign of road rash, just scratches from what I suspect was a "driveway drop". I paid about $1400 less than average stripped bike, AND my bike came with $1400 worth of desirable accesories. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a rental again...

Quick Reply: HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one?