General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:19 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My first bike was a 2003 Fatboy that was a rental. It had 7K on the clock, and I put another 32K on with NO problems whatsoever before I traded it in for an Ultra.

Yeah, some people MIGHT ride the hell out of a rental, however if they rent a Harley, and screw it up, thats one expensive session of stupidity.

The dealers maintan the bikes as recommended by the MOCO, and everytime it goes out, or comes back in, its inspected for damage.

I'd buy another in a minute. No fear whatsoever

Old 12-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I would probably not buy a rental unit, definitely would want it checked over by a independent or a different dealer... I rented for the first 6 months I had a license. Dropped a couple, missed gears a few times, never checked anything, never parked it under cover... I rented a Heritage that had 15lbs of air in the front tire, was that way TWICE, I do not believe they take care of them at all.

When I got my license in 06 here in FL, the first Harley I rented was a 06 Wide Glide, after renting every other model I might be interested in I kept coming back to the WG as my favorite. Rented it several times. When I was visiting the dealer before heading home, I noticed the bike was now for sale, $16k for a year old bike with 11k on it, WTF? a new one was $16,700... Wouldn't budge on the number (I offered $13.5).. It was still there last year.. Guess what? I saw it there last weekend! Unfortunately for the bikes around both here and where I live in NJ, they get substantial exposure to salt air and look it too...

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Buying any used motorcycles needs to be checked out.
I've know a couple guys who ride probably just as hard all the time on there own as someone who rents one.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Dooderhead
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that none of the replies on this thread saying DONT BUY A RENTAL were from anyone who said they had bought one and were disappointed in it. The riders who have purchased rentals have all replied positively (including my own), but it's obviously up to you to decide if you want one or not.

My 07 FatBoy was a dlr rental from Earl Small's in Marietta GA. Had 13k on it and have her up to 30k now with NO problems that could be remotely related to 'rental abuse'. They gave me the printed service records before I signed, and I paid around $1,900 under what used, non-rental Fattys were selling for at the time.

GO FOR IT!!

Last edited by Dooderhead; 12-02-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like buying a used rental car..Check it out, there are a lot of great buys out there and Like Dawg said, therse units are owned by HD not the dealer, so ask for maintenance records and pull a CARFAX and read them.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

would you want a wife who used to be a *****?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
genedjr
Road Captain

'The King' was from a rental fleet from Grand Junction Harley Davidson. There was just over 6K on the clock when I got it (sight unseen BTW) and I have upped that to 33K. I have had no issues and love the bike.

I bought it through a broker. The broker had the dealer note all defects (very few) and when I saw the bike it was exactly as described. My experience was terriffic.

As another noted, most of those that are saying no, however crudely put, have never bought one so they are not speaking from experience.

While I have no intension of buying another bike - if I did, I would definetly consider buying another used one from a rental fleet.
...gene

Old 12-02-2009, 10:37 AM
take 5
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dooderhead
Interesting that none of the replies on this thread saying DONT BUY A RENTAL were from anyone who said they had bought one and were disappointed in it. The riders who have purchased rentals have all replied positively (including my own), but it's obviously up to you to decide if you want one or not.

My 07 FatBoy was a dlr rental from Earl Small's in Marietta GA. Had 13k on it and have her up to 30k now with NO problems that could be remotely related to 'rental abuse'. They gave me the printed service records before I signed, and I paid around $1,900 under what used, non-rental Fattys were selling for at the time.

GO FOR IT!!
Kinda of agree, it seems that those that bought a rental bike had pretty good luck, I would think it depends on the selling dealer, this dealer has a pretty good reputation, hopefully that would mean something.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 AM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

I have two friends that bought rental bikes from Salt Lake HD. One was a SG, the other a RK Custom. Both bikes have been trouble-free for over 10,000 miles.

What's the difference between buying a used rental bike and a used bike? What if you're buying a used bike from the yahoo that rode the rental bike like a bat out of hell? At least he/she only rode the rental bike for a week or so! The truth is, you really never know what you're going to get out of a used bike. Maybe it was a lemon from the get-go. Maybe it'll last forever. Who knows?? I don't believe one can label every rental bike out there a POS that's totally ragged out. No chance.

If you find a great deal and it "feels" like a good deal, I say go for it! Trust your first instinct!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:54 AM
1potter1
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope your not buying the Ultra I rented from the Texas Hill country area. I rode it pretty hard......

Quick Reply: HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one?