General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 PM
cali beemer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most bikes I have rented have had problems, I would pass.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Panasoffkee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly if you rented a bike wouldn't you run the pi_ _ out of it? I wonder how many times it's been dropped or the gears ground or down shifted from fifth to first? They would have to be pretty heavily discounted but then again that could be true of any used bike.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Run from it like it's got a virus you don't want to catch. Why? Because it probably has. I've rented em, been with guys that have rented em, and watched guys ride their rented units. Other than me, it ain't a pretty site. There's some good deals out there. Just go to the classifieds right here on the Forum. There's some nice scoots for sale, with lots of add-ons for a fair price. And in most cases you'll know how it's been taken care of.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
GetLost☠1982
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
ding ding ding. people beat the **** out of rentals, plain and simple.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:53 PM
gja
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought an '08 Road Glide with 13000 on the clock. Put another 2000 on it since October and haven't had a problem. Went for far below what everyone else was asking.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

I purchased a 2006 SG rental in January of 2008. It was my first motorcycle. It had 12,400 miles at the time and now it has 25,600 on the clock. It runs fine and has not had any major problems (I just replaced the front fairing mounts, which I don't consider "a major problem"). Rentals are broken in by the dealership and maintained by the dealership. Prior to buying mine I did get copies of the repair and maintance history, just in case there was something really bad. It had two months left on the warrenty when I got it home and the dealer fixed the two issues I had (loud brakes and worn rear tire)

Buying a formal rental is not like buying new, it is a used motorcycle and you can be certain that some riders did not baby it. Hard use will bring out any manufacturing problems which the dealer will fix because it as part of their fleet.

If you want your Harley to have that new motorcycle smell, buy new. If you're looking for used, then you don't have "run" from the rentals. Mine is running just fine and I plan on keeping running as mine for a long time.

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 12-01-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,242 Likes on 1,851 Posts

My 04 was a rental here at a VT dealer. Don't know how other areas are treated, but if folks are coming to VT they are probably an older more reserved scenic rider than beating the snot out of it. Never had any problems with my 04. The fly and ride dealer here has two bikes new each year and keeps one of the 1 year old rentals for a spare for one more year then sells it. It is owned by the MOCO and not the dealer so it has to be maintained per their specs, etc.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
hdbe
Road Master

i tried to buy a rental but could ot get them to come down off the price enough....i'd buy one..

Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

The riders that I have seen around here on rental Harleys always appeared to be conservatively riding while enjoying the Texas Hill Country. I know there are exceptions but generally riders on the baggers are not ******* the pizz out of it.

Have the dealer give you a print out of all the service records since the bike was placed into service and go from there. I still think you are just as safe, or safer, buying a rental from the dealer as you would be buying a used bike from an individual. I, personally, would feel better getting it from the dealer.

As to a good price, I can't answer that but if you really like the bike and really want it then saving a few hundred dollars is not important. Getting a good deal is mostly an ego thing.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Popsflhtc
Novice
Default rental scoot

I recently [July] purchased an 08 flhtc with 4,600 miles on it from a dealer.
The bike needed a fuse replaced on the battery tender connector which told me that someone had probably tried to start up on a low battery while hooked to a charger or tender.the bike needed an oil change which I did asap.
I now have 7,600 miles on it and it is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done for myself!
Cruse/abs/tunes and runs down the hi way like a dream.

Quick Reply: HD rental bikes, anybody purchase one?