Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

schott perfecto... what is the hype about?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default schott perfecto... what is the hype about?

if it weren't for nostalgic reasons they wouldn't sell one of these at the price they charge. i've coveted one of these since i was about 14 during my punk phase...

purchased one today and upon getting it home i tried it back on to take a spin around the block on my bike. i found the interior lining to be terribly itchy and uncomfortable, like a cheap wool poly blend or something. not to mention it doesn't zip out nor can you add a thicker lining making it really impractical in heat or cold.

then i tried it on again 30 minutes ago and the rivulet popped right out of the belt like it wasn't even held in place. now this one was probably defective and i'm sure not all are blessed with this feature but still it should make it through one or two wears before falling apart especially with it's near $500 (MSRP) price tag and "union made" chest thumping...

it does look cool and its history makes it appealing and that's about all i can say for it, maybe i'll try foxcreek, langlitz, or vanson.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had a Schott Perfecto and more recently a 161.

They are the original. You pay some for that. They are made in the USA. You pay for that, too. They are American leathers, large pieces (with the fewest seams possible). You pay lots for that.

Other than that, Schotts are what I would consider to be minimalist. But the quality of the leather is, IMO, second to none. Better than Fox Creek and all other American marques, perhaps equalled by Vanson and customs like Langlitz.

And, in my experience, their customer service is what you would expect for anything at that price point. All that "'union made' chest thumping" means that they take each sale personally.

Have you given them a chance to make it right before you posted your complaint on this forum?

BTW, Schotts were already a NY legend well before the Ramones wore them.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:51 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

i did email them letting them know the quality issues with the jacket, they don't really have to make it right since i just bought it 8 hours ago and i have the receipt... it'll go back to the army navy store i bought it from and i won't be getting another one, some things just leave a bad taste in your mouth like a $500 jacket falling apart on its first use, this is how some folks lose business and others gain business. what could they do? have me mail my 8 hour old jacket to them to replace a rivulet and mail it back weeks later more than likely costing me $25 in shipping? i'd rather just return it and forget the entire episode.

my post is to ask what the hype is all about? i do think from a style p.o.v. they are a classic, the quality of the leather was excellent like you said but kinda light for a protective riding jacket, the zippers on the sleeves don't stay zipped, the liner is itchy and uncomfortable... overall the quality of the jacket is certainly exaggerated due to its cult following. i expected more from it, the rivulet popping out was the icing on the cake for me to return it.

Last edited by mikeingoshen; 11-30-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikeingoshen
i did email them letting them know the quality issues with the jacket, they don't really have to make it right since i just bought it 8 hours ago and i have the receipt... it'll go back to the army navy store i bought it from and i won't be getting another one, some things just leave a bad taste in your mouth like a $500 jacket falling apart on its first use, this is how some folks lose business and others gain business. what could they do? have me mail my 8 hour old jacket to them to replace a rivulet and mail it back weeks later more than likely costing me $25 in shipping? i'd rather just return it and forget the entire episode.

my post is to ask what the hype is all about? i do think from a style p.o.v. they are a classic, the quality of the leather was excellent like you said but kinda light for a protective riding jacket, the zippers on the sleeves don't stay zipped, the liner is itchy and uncomfortable... overall the quality of the jacket is certainly exaggerated due to its cult following. i expected more from it, the rivulet popping out was the icing on the cake for me to return it.
1. You didn't buy it from Schott.

2. You didn't/won't *call* them. So you don't even know what they'd offer. (If you call them, they'll let you know if it is a counterfeit or not. Ever consider that? I mean, you didn't buy it from Schott....)

3. You aren't giving anyone a chance to make it right; you're just returning it.

4. You want to know what they hype is about? I answered it in my previous post. If that's not good enough for you, wait 8 hours then post what you want My two Schotts were great jackets. Maybe you'd be happier with a Joe Rocket from eBay or something.

Skyooz me

Last edited by faber; 11-30-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

they are a recommended seller listed on schott's website that's how i found them, it's not a counterfeit i used schott's recommendation to avoid buying a counterfeit. i don't believe schott even has a storefront in nyc anymore so this is basically the way you buy it, from resellers. it's like saying you didn't buy your ford from ford because a dealer was the middleman... i've contacted schott and i'm sure they'll just tell me to return it for another one but we'll see when they respond. based on the design of the belt rivulet i can't imagine this is the only jacket it happens to or that it wouldn't happen again.

i don't know what a joe rocket is but i assume that was some attempt to belittle me so i'll let it slide i don't want to get into a pissing contest or start insulting people online, if i wouldn't do it to your face i won't do it online that's just not my style... i tell ya i'd be happier with a jacket that can stay together more than two try ons.. of course i'm returning it, it's a piece of crap that fell apart with zero use that i paid over $400 for with tax... no one in their right mind would keep a $400+ jacket that falls apart on its second use.

it's a forum people can make their own decisions with information they are presented with, you loved your schott jackets i hated mine and was really disappointed in it. it's just information people can do with it what they will.

Last edited by mikeingoshen; 11-30-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 30 year old Schott. The quality is second to none. Schotts are the original. All others are copies.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:26 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

After reading the first sentence in your OP, I thought you were talking about your scoot?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikeingoshen
it's a forum people can make their own decisions with information they are presented with, you loved your schott jackets i hated mine and was really disappointed in it. it's just information people can do with it what they will.
You can buy directly from Schott, and you can contact/call Schott directly, too.

Present any information here that you like. Just be sure to repeat that your only attempt to do anything about it was to send an e-mail (and not call) and not even wait for a response.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
The_Drifter
Intermediate

I have a wool lined Schott from the 50's that I still wear. Looks better than new!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

Originally Posted by The_Drifter
I have a wool lined Schott from the 50's that I still wear. Looks better than new!
this is what i heard, a big part of why i bought one was peoples reviews of the product, i planned on wearing this thing until i was old and gray (well grayer)...

that's why i was really surprised with the quality issues. to plan on 50 years and get 50 minutes is a bummer.

Quick Reply: schott perfecto... what is the hype about?