Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

schott perfecto... what is the hype about?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:25 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drama over, disaster averted, i decided to just have the store return the jacket to the factory and get me a new one. i'll give them another "schott"... man that was an awful pun...

Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeingoshen
drama over, disaster averted, i decided to just have the store return the jacket to the factory and get me a new one. i'll give them another "schott"... man that was an awful pun...
Nice pun

No, I don't work for Schott. Just don't think the reputation of a 96-year old industry legend should be treated so lightly.

I had two Schotts and regret getting rid of them. Great jackets, but, as I said, minimalist. The strengths, for me, were the leather and construction.

My wife has a Fox Creek. Loaded with features. Excellent construction. She loves it. She *really* likes the built in neck-warmer. I don't care for the look of the naked leather they use, but it is heavy and thick! Every seam, every zipper and snap is perfect. And it has really good vents.

Currently, I have a Vanson. The cut is more motorcycle-friendly than any other jacket I've ever owned, at least in my size and for my body and riding posture. And the leather is incredible: smooth and stiff, like Schott's, but it feels heavier, which I like. Another awesome jacket.

But they're all kind of different.

My next jacket will prolly be a Fox Creek.......but I've always wanted a Schott horsehide.....hmmmm.....

Good call letting the retailer deal with your jacket. I *really* hope it works out for you and that the replacement lives up to expectation (and the hype).

Old 12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

the turn around was pretty fantastic actually, i guess since schott is right in jersey they got a new jacket over very fast to the store literally one day since i brought it back.

i just picked it up the new one and this one seems much better, the leather is much more supple, this jacket isn't nearly as stiff as the other one. i think what could've happened was this jacket sat on a rack in an army navy store for awhile drying out and getting stiff and also the belt rivet was defective and/or people trying the coat on and off jarrred it loose.

so mea culpa i take it back this jacket seems very very nice. this new jacket is perfecto... so far... the leather is really high quality it's exactly what i was looking for.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeingoshen
the turn around was pretty fantastic actually, i guess since schott is right in jersey they got a new jacket over very fast to the store literally one day since i brought it back.

i just picked it up the new one and this one seems much better, the leather is much more supple, this jacket isn't nearly as stiff as the other one. i think what could've happened was this jacket sat on a rack in an army navy store for awhile drying out and getting stiff and also the belt rivet was defective and/or people trying the coat on and off jarrred it loose.

so mea culpa i take it back this jacket seems very very nice. this new jacket is perfecto... so far... the leather is really high quality it's exactly what i was looking for.
congratulations! keep us posted on how it breaks in once you start riding with it.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

just to update this in case anyone is looking for a jacket these reviews can be helpful especially if someone is going to drop a lot of money on a jacket.

the new schott jacket is at a tailor getting the left sleeve repaired ($25.00), the stitching is coming undone, again really nice jacket, great leather fits me like a glove but maybe they need to change unions because i find it hard to believe that i got two unlucky jackets in a row, twice IMO speaks to a low quality control.

i wrote schott three times they never wrote me back, i called them and didn't receive any solution other than send the jacket back. it would've been nice had they just covered the tailoring bill since shipping would've cost just as much and i wouldn't have to be without my jacket for several weeks while it's turned around.

i'll wear the jacket but really i have little faith in this thing lasting me more than a year or two. at this rate it'll be cheaper to sell it on ebay and buy a jacket that'll last rather than fix it every month or two because another seam came undone or rivulet popped out. i gotta give the schott perfecto a thumbs down.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 PM
oldschoolmedic
Cruiser

Rivet, not rivulet.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll stick with those brands you all have never heard of. Frank Thomas and Dainese have worked well for me for many years and several getoffs. Seems the English and the Italians understand something about tailoring motorcycle attire.
Good luck with whatever brand you choose.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldschoolmedic
Rivet, not rivulet.
it's the little hole in the belt that the buckle goes through, they're "reinforced" with metal, not sure rivet is right to describe it, rivulet sounded right but i guess it is wrong as i looked it up and it means "a small stream" and makes no sense at all...

Last edited by mikeingoshen; 12-21-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain

Grommet?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer

Thanks for the informative post. Sorry to hear what you're having to go through.

Big +1 on Vanson jackets. I have two (Mark 2 Sport Riders -- one solid, one perforated), both 10 years old and holding up very well. Had to have one sleeve zipper replaced this past year -- other than that, not a single flaw or failure. And I went down in the perforated one on the freeway, sliding on my back at about 40 mph or so -- just a few scuffs in the leather, totally cosmetic.

Quick Reply: schott perfecto... what is the hype about?