Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

schott perfecto... what is the hype about?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
REVL33
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeingoshen
if it weren't for nostalgic reasons they wouldn't sell one of these at the price they charge. i've coveted one of these since i was about 14 during my punk phase...

purchased one today and upon getting it home i tried it back on to take a spin around the block on my bike. i found the interior lining to be terribly itchy and uncomfortable, like a cheap wool poly blend or something. not to mention it doesn't zip out nor can you add a thicker lining making it really impractical in heat or cold.

then i tried it on again 30 minutes ago and the rivulet popped right out of the belt like it wasn't even held in place. now this one was probably defective and i'm sure not all are blessed with this feature but still it should make it through one or two wears before falling apart especially with it's near $500 (MSRP) price tag and "union made" chest thumping...

it does look cool and its history makes it appealing and that's about all i can say for it, maybe i'll try foxcreek, langlitz, or vanson.
my son is also 14 and going through his punk phase his friends dad just gave him one seems very high quality its old as dirt but very sturdy still who knows things change or maybe you just got a lemon .

Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as reviews, my best friend had a 25 year old Perfecto that he gave to me. I had it for 10 years before I gave it to his latest wife 3 years ago. all I can say is for a 35+ year old jacket, it is completely in tact, liner & all.
I bought a new Perfecto 118 last year.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:08 AM
itsjasont
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeingoshen
they are a recommended seller listed on schott's website that's how i found them, it's not a counterfeit i used schott's recommendation to avoid buying a counterfeit. i don't believe schott even has a storefront in nyc anymore so this is basically the way you buy it, from resellers. it's like saying you didn't buy your ford from ford because a dealer was the middleman... i've contacted schott and i'm sure they'll just tell me to return it for another one but we'll see when they respond. based on the design of the belt rivulet i can't imagine this is the only jacket it happens to or that it wouldn't happen again.

i don't know what a joe rocket is but i assume that was some attempt to belittle me so i'll let it slide i don't want to get into a pissing contest or start insulting people online, if i wouldn't do it to your face i won't do it online that's just not my style... i tell ya i'd be happier with a jacket that can stay together more than two try ons.. of course i'm returning it, it's a piece of crap that fell apart with zero use that i paid over $400 for with tax... no one in their right mind would keep a $400+ jacket that falls apart on its second use.

it's a forum people can make their own decisions with information they are presented with, you loved your schott jackets i hated mine and was really disappointed in it. it's just information people can do with it what they will.
I think you're being a little to hard on them. Occasionally a bad widget can slip out of any factory. It definitely sucks to get a bad one but I assume you spent the dollars on a Schott (when much lower priced jackets are available) for a reason. Why not give them a chance to make it right?

Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I have a Schott that I ahve had sice 2000. This jacket got heavy daily use on the zippers and such as I used to wear it all day for about 5 years. Constantly zipping and unzipping and such. It has been down several times too. I had to replace the zipper about 2 years ago.

Due to the massive amount of use the zipper had gotten (as all my other leather jackets) I gladly replaced it myself. I'll never get rid of this jacket, however I seem to have grown a bit of a gut that makes it a bit too snug now.

All the other jackets I have the zippers broke far sooner than that.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Damn. Give the guy a break. All he is saying is that he bought a $400 jacket on reputation and the jacket is bad. Just a lemon or isolated case would not make me feel any better either.

Sometimes I just give a business one chance. When I pay hard earned money in a substantial amount for something, I don't want to hear any excuses when it is less than advertised.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Damn. Give the guy a break. All he is saying is that he bought a $400 jacket on reputation and the jacket is bad. Just a lemon or isolated case would not make me feel any better either.

Sometimes I just give a business one chance. When I pay hard earned money in a substantial amount for something, I don't want to hear any excuses when it is less than advertised.
Perfecto!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 AM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

i may give schott another chance, i'll return the one i bought for a full refund (hopefully no hassles) and see if schott will price match online to send me one from the factory and see if that is any better. i haven't heard back from them yet but if they'll do that i'll try another one and break it in see if the comfort gets better. online they are listed at nearly $500 and i bought mine for $375 plus tax so i wouldn't want to lose out on $125 in savings...

the more i think about it since it was on the floor it's possible the jacket was tried on a bunch and someone knocked it loose or something prior to me purchasing it. still doesn't excuse it since i have a jacket made in pakistan i bought from wilsons leather for $89 my sophmore year of HS that is still together with no issues (i'm 32 now)...

i really want to buy american but they're not making it easy when foreign jackets meet or surpass american quality for 1/3rd the cost...

i'm also considering fox creek because vanson and langlitz are just too much money for me i couldn't justify nearly $800 for a jacket. can anyone compare the two (fox creek and schott)? fit, quality of leather, comfort etc... thanks!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a zillion threads on Fox Creek. Most everyone seems happy. The latest one has a guy who believes that the sleeves are too short for the size indicated. Read them for yourself.

Obviously, you're a different type of shopper/customer than I am. But if I were determined to spend $400+ on a new leather jacket, I'd do my homework, find out what makes the leading brands different, search forums for unsolicited reports/reviews from customers, read their websites and see how they support their products, etc.

Fox Creeks have different leather and have many features that don't come in a Schott. Very different jackets, IMO. Great value. But note that you have to deal with them online/by phone. So if you're hesitant to deal with Schott because of the expense of sending it back for service, you would have the same issue with Fox Creek.

You got a lemon of a Schott from a discount vendor, and you are holding that experience up as more significant than the 96 year history of the company and the tens of thousands of customers. It's natural to be frustrated by your experience, but you haven't even called them to see how they'd support their product. I *strongly* suggest doing that before returning yours.

If I bought a Harley and it came with a bad fuse, I wouldn't just post on a forum about it before going to the dealer and asking them to do something about it. I mean, the company's been in business for 107 years--they must be doing something right, even if a bad fuse slips out of the factory once in a while.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:51 AM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

faber do you work for schott or are you just their unofficial spokesman? just kidding but seriously if i search old threads and post in them people get bent out of shape for bumping them...

buying a new harley isn't a good comparison with my issue because you can't return the bike you're forced to reconcile it another way with the dealer. however a bum jacket that consists or leather, thread, and rivets, no moving parts, nothing mechanical it really should just simply work, plus you can simply return for one without any issues, so i see no reason to do anything other than return it.

i want to see if anyone has personally owned both jackets and if they can offer their personal opinions of both i haven't seen any comparisons and i've read up on both jackets details and technical details. i'm looking for a little more personal experience with both. if my jacket saga is such a drain on you you're free to just not post here anymore or post i don't really care.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a used Schott Perfecto off ebay about a year and half ago... $175. Rarely worn if at all. Nice jacket! I also have a Made in USA jacket same as Fox Creek sells... (you do know they don't actually "make" their own, right?) The Fox Creek style racer is much heavier than the Perfecto which is why I bought the Schott. Winter coat vs. Fall/Spring use. The Perfecto hasn't even really started to break in yet. I'd guess that at the rate it's going, it'll take another 5 years to break in to where it's comfortable. The Fox Creek style jacket took about the same amount of time... it's just a LOT heavier and a little different style. I must say, at 1st I wasn't really sold on the Schott, but after many long hours in it... I'm starting to really like it. It's still stiff and all but... glad I bought it and would buy it again... I've seen some REALLY good deals on Schott jackets on fleabay...

Quick Reply: schott perfecto... what is the hype about?