General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley riders are they frowned upon by other bikers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallaby
Sometimes frowned upon, sometimes looked up to and admired, take the good with the bad.
+1 I love my bikes and thats that

Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

Originally Posted by Wallaby
Sometimes frowned upon, sometimes looked up to and admired, take the good with the bad.
+1 I love my bikes and thats that

Old 12-01-2009, 04:52 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Enve-me
Dont take it personal. Most of the people on Jap. bikes are younger and programed to the new human ways. They probrobly don't even wave to there own neighbors while getting there mail? Just wave and be happy People ae getting more and more anti-social everyday in this country.

Thats very true - Not all sports bikers are nuts on the roads but to be honest a lot are - Over in Ireland the Police actually behave a lot different to H-D riders than "Rice burners" -

I think its basically donw to

Avg age of a HD rider is a lot older -
Most have a lot of experiance riding -
HD bikes are not built to try get from point A to point B in a nano second -
Most HD riders have been advised by the HD showrooms to get some kind of inhouse training where as the Sports riders are shownt the door once the money has changed hands -
HD in general is a complete different riding style -
There is a large police membership over here with the local Hog chapter so they also respect the whole aspect / lifestyle of owning a HD.

I was speaking to a biker in the pub a few weeks ago and I asked him what he rode - It was a ninja/honda/kwacker /go faster / plastic bin bag whatever that all he thought about was breaking the land speed record in a 30 mile an hour restricted area - Was proud of being able to wheely his plastic binbag 500 mtrs down the road (are the 2 wheels not there for a reason I thought to myself like 4 are on a car?)

Anyway my kids know little about bikes and when I told them I was buying one the first words were - Will it be a Harley? Enough said!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:53 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
I don't think Harley-Davidson is considered number 1 by anyone on a sportbike though.
well, once certain model gets to wear the number 1 plate in 2010

Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Run whatcha brung"

It's worked for decades, and decades.
In 99.99% of the cases, it is WHAT can be afforded.

I find I am NOT as interested in WHAT they're riding, as WHO is riding it.
IOW, iz you an , or NOT ?????

There are jus' as many "Douchebags" on Harleys, as rockets, or metrics.

TOO MANY BIKES, TOO FEW BIKERS

Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't give a fat baby fug what others think. Except here. I want your approval. I need your appraise. Please love me. Please.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 AM
gacoptrainer
Road Captain
Default Don't care.

Originally Posted by Arv
Being a newbie to Harley's I'm learning here.
So please tell me if I'm wrong but, i get the feeling that "super bike" riders seem to frown upon us, is this true??

If so why? i thought all riders were united, but it seems there is some type of segregation among us.

It could just be a UK thing or my imagination but either way i would like to know.

Have anyone else found this or had any experiences they want to share.
If a person does not like my bike they can bite my big ol'e harry butt! I'm not trying to impress anyone but me.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain

Harley is not the dominant bike in countries other than the US, so there can be a stigma associated with those riding Harleys. On the other hand, you can be unique.

Superbikes/crotch rockets are indeed for the most part ridden by younger people here in the US. They are much more prevalent across age groups in other countries. As far as discrimanation against Harley riders, it will depend on the group you encounter. A single rider is less likely to give you crap and will generally look the bike over and ask you how you like it. If it is a group, they tend to take on a "pack" mentality and put you down. No different in the UK than any other country.

I'll bet the non-bikers will come over where ever you stop and gush over the bike, after all Harleys are beautiful. I agree with the other posters, you bought or are buying the Harley to ride, don't fret the superbikers comments. On the other hand, just as one here in the US would be foolish to crash a 1%ers hangout, you might want to avoid pubs that cater to the superbikers. They might damage your bike just out of spite.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a Honda as a kid. Really liked the Triumph Bonnevilles back then, wished I could have bought one. Fast forward to today. Still think the Bonneville is a nice bike, but nothing compared to my Harley.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arv
Being a newbie to Harley's I'm learning here.
So please tell me if I'm wrong but, i get the feeling that "super bike" riders seem to frown upon us, is this true??

If so why? i thought all riders were united, but it seems there is some type of segregation among us.

It could just be a UK thing or my imagination but either way i would like to know.

Have anyone else found this or had any experiences they want to share.
An accurate observation. Each bike brand riders like to think they are unique. Mostly it's just individual choice which bike they ride. Unfortunately though, there's a lot of "Don't Tread On Me" mentality almost to the point of challenging others right to even exist. Some take it to an extreme but for the most part, it's most vanity run amuck.

Last edited by shortride; 12-01-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley riders are they frowned upon by other bikers.