General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley riders are they frowned upon by other bikers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinmanpope
Its not your fault they can't afford a real bike. LOL!!! Out in Texas there is a difference from crotch rockets and Harleys. Here they zoom aroiund you with no notice and no respect for anyone, so Harley ridiers do not wave at them. I obey the law and think they should too.
I don't obey the law and I don't think crotch rocket riders should either.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keltonkrew
Have a good friend I've known for over 30 years. he was telling me how bad a decision I made buying a Harley. (he has a Honda 750 of some sort).... said he could ride all day while the harley guys were repairing their bikes.

He came to the lake one day and didn't bring his bike. well I let him ride my wifes 09 Heritage and I rode the KING! well after that, he said....now I KNOW why y'all like Harley's...the balance on this bike is great, much better in the wind and very comfortable ride.

so most of those talking crap have never even sat on a Hog, more less rode one...if they did, they wouldn't be riding their jap crap! (and my wife had a Yami before her Heritage....she says she'd never go back)
Many Harley riders that pick on sportbikes have never sat on one or rode one either. Just sayin.... Goes both ways.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

Originally Posted by GymRat523
Really I almost never see it, I roll up on sport bike guys all the time, mostly young guys, and they are always friendly. Mostly they are like all bikers and like to talk about their bikes. Most of the kids on rice burners will most likely evolve to cruisers or touring bikes. An adventure for a kid is a day trip as you get older and done that you want to get a little further from home. Even the young guys will tell you a 500 mile day is not much fun on a sport bike.
We all get old. Priorities change. Done both. The sportbike isn't as uncomfortable as you might think. But.... I admit my Deuce is the better all day bike.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:26 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master

Originally Posted by WWECOUGAR
Many Harley riders that pick on sportbikes have never sat on one or rode one either. Just sayin.... Goes both ways.
his wasn't a sportbike...resembled more of the softail line...

Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Who cares? Just get out and ride!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:27 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

Originally Posted by keltonkrew
his wasn't a sportbike...resembled more of the softail line...
I'm speaking in general, not about any specific situation.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arv
Being a newbie to Harley's I'm learning here.
So please tell me if I'm wrong but, i get the feeling that "super bike" riders seem to frown upon us, is this true??

If so why? i thought all riders were united, but it seems there is some type of segregation among us.

It could just be a UK thing or my imagination but either way i would like to know.

Have anyone else found this or had any experiences they want to share.
Motor scooter riders are very snobbish and tend to discredit any and all riders that don't wear the proper costume or saddle up on the proper bike.

Screw-em! Just ride and have fun. Don't forget to give the 1 finger wave.

Last edited by badwhine; 12-02-2009 at 06:57 PM. Reason: eye cant spel
Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 AM
widget
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes in the UK

Harley riders are looked down on in the UK.

But you have to remember that the UK biking culture is totally diferent to the USA. The superbike market is huge compared to the cruiser market so riding any sort of cruiser sets you apart and if you choose to ride a Harley then you have to get used to the stick you get from other bikers, but on the whole it is just banter, never had any real problems. Just get used to everyone refering it to Hardley Ableson or the tractor parks over there. I think that most UK bikers think that a Harley is the bike you buy if you are an acountant or banker because of the price. Also because of the low performance and the type of riders, it is seen as the make you buy when you too old for a super bike. (not heped by most Harley owners being over 50! (me included). The wise cracks come with owning a Harley. you have to remeber what the Harley was designed for: The long straight roads of the USA, that the americans are proud of their machines, and thecruiser tyle is extremely popular. Wheras in the UK we have very few long straight roads, we don't really care where the bike comes from. Performance, handling and brakes are everything. I have a Speed triple as well andit easily out performs the Fatboy. Take for xample Yamaha, they have a huge Star range in the USA of every type of cruiser. In the UK their are only three models of cruiser to choose from. In theUK Yamaha produces the MT01 which has the 1700 warrior engine fitted to a superbike frame. This bike is not available in the US. Also yamaha retro XJ1300 in line air cooled 4 is not available in the US.

To be honest I think the ones that get the most stick are the HOG guys that turn up with patches over their leather jackets and wear a hanky on their heads. For goodness sake don't where chaps to a bike meet or your never get out alive!

That said when I go to Box hill on the Fatboy almost every body I have met after a bit of banter has nothing really personal against Harley's and you can talk about biking in general if you have ever riden a sports bike, naked or super bike. Most want to know if the bikes reliable yet. They still hold a repuation from the old days on reliability. Wish i could have a pound for every time i hear. 80% of harleys are still on the road the other 20% made it home. I use the Fatboy for cruising around and taking it easy and commuting. I use the Speed triple for adrenalin and handling and hanging off. The biggets stick i really get is that I wear my two piece leathers and my fullface onthe Harley!

Robbie

Old 12-03-2009, 08:58 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get looked down at every time I get/sit on the bike.......

........D I L L I G A F.......

Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldnt give a rats left nut what other people think while Im riding
Why would anyone??

Quick Reply: Harley riders are they frowned upon by other bikers.