General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD CAUTION - "Do not switch lubricant brands..."

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 AM
GymChamp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD CAUTION - "Do not switch lubricant brands..."

Owner's Manual for '09 Softails cautions "do not switch libricant brands indiscriminately because some lubricants interact chemically when mixed" (my underlines added). Since my Heritage came straight from dealer to me, it's pretty certain it has HD brand oil inside. So is there a prob if I use Mobile 1 syn 20W50 for V-Twins, or maybe Redline syn 20W50, for my 5,000 mile oil change? Does the caution only mean not to ADD (i.e., MIX) one kind of oil to another, but not to worry if you are CHANGING (i.e. SWITCH) your oil and filter?? Sorry, this caution is not clear to me: "Switch" and "Mix" mean two different things to me.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with you, "switch" and "mix" are two different "am-inals".
Also, I "believe" they mean, syn and dino. vs 'brands'.
IF it says ASME XXXXYYYYZZZZ, GTG with any oil, of THAT designation, and type.

BUT just think, if 1% of the 'new' owners reads that, they'll be standing in front of the HD Parts counter, every couple o' thousand miles, and the **** MoCo will be $milin',
ALL the way, to the BANK !!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I would say that is BS. As long as you are using the correct weight and viscosity you will be fine. Sounds to me like HD just wants to sell more of their HD labeled product.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Scooter says BS also.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:40 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

I think what it means is try and stick with whatever you use.I have a Honda lawn mower that the manual says the same thing almost word for word.Just my thoughts on it.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Provided the oil's in question meet the required specifications, converting from one oil brand or type (dino vs syn) to another is not a problem. Likewise, using a different brand oil, that meets the required spec's, in a pinch to "top off" your oil level is not a problem.

And yes, you can mix dino and syn if necessary.

Indiscriminately, mixing different oils is probably not the best of ideas.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
I'm with you, "switch" and "mix" are two different "am-inals".
Also, I "believe" they mean, syn and dino. vs 'brands'.
IF it says ASME XXXXYYYYZZZZ, GTG with any oil, of THAT designation, and type.

BUT just think, if 1% of the 'new' owners reads that, they'll be standing in front of the HD Parts counter, every couple o' thousand miles, and the **** MoCo will be $milin',
ALL the way, to the BANK !!!!
Have looked and looked some brands tell you they are better. I believe it meansdon't MIX. I will ask next time i am at dealer! Let's all ask and try to get a clearification

Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Glad I don't have a '09 Softail then. I would allready be screwed.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 AM
E. Flasso Hornman
Banned

The Motor Company wants you to only buy from them for the rest of your life. That includes your sunglasses, socks, and underwear.

Generally speaking I wouldn't mix oils between oil changes if I could avoid it unless it was an emergency and then I'd use whatever was available at the moment and change the whole thing at the first opportunity. Remember that you're dealing with an air cooled engine so an automotive oil may not meet all the standards that an oil designed for an air cooled motorcycle engine will. But it will get you home vs. running too low and oil starving your engine. If I make a "lifestyle" change in oil (from one brand or type to another) I may make the next oil and filter change very quickly to help get whatever cross contamination that may have occurred from dissimilar oils blending together out of my engine but it really might not make that big a difference at all. I'm just ****.

In my Ironhead and my Shovelhead I run very heavy straight weights (50 or 60w) of dinosaur oil most of the year and a multigrade (25w-60) for the winter months for the bike that's parked outside. My girlfriends Evo big twin and Sportster run 20w-50 synthetic year round. Most times the dealers in my area won't even stock the oils my older bikes need. Thanks guys!

Interestingly enough I was advised NOT to run a synthetic oil in my new Bonnie until after the break in period and then to use a 20w-50 or 10w-40 Amsoil depending on the temp. I'm going to stick with 20w-50 and cover the oil cooler. Apparently the quality synthetic oils are too slippery for the break in and the rings wouldn't wear in like they should.

Last edited by E. Flasso Hornman; 11-30-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't our Federal Government mandate that all oils be compatable?. .viscosity for viscosity? In my youth I worked in a truck stop and changed oil in big rigs and cages and at that time was told that all oils from different labels could be mixed without damage.. We used to upend the old oil cans from oil changes and let them drain into a larger can and when that can was full we(the guys that worked at the station ) would use it to change the oil in our pickups.. Thats where I learned to be young and brave..or is that foolish.. oh well it was a fun time..

Quick Reply: HD CAUTION - "Do not switch lubricant brands..."