General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD CAUTION - "Do not switch lubricant brands..."

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 AM
E. Flasso Hornman
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RutRoo
Didn't our Federal Government mandate that all oils be compatable?. .viscosity for viscosity? In my youth I worked in a truck stop and changed oil in big rigs and cages and at that time was told that all oils from different labels could be mixed without damage.. We used to upend the old oil cans from oil changes and let them drain into a larger can and when that can was full we(the guys that worked at the station ) would use it to change the oil in our pickups.. Thats where I learned to be young and brave..or is that foolish.. oh well it was a fun time..
And you trust our Federal Government to handle things? Oops! That was political! Ban me!

As far as I know it's not just the viscosity that matters. It's in the fine print...those letter codes behind the weight. Some had additives designed for air cooled engines and high torque low rpm running and others do not. You can use a higher grade oil in a low grade application but not the other way around.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:22 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

The woman at the automotive desk at Wal-Mart said I could switch to Mobile 1 for my scooter with no problem.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 AM
E. Flasso Hornman
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
The woman at the automotive desk at Wal-Mart said I could switch to Mobile 1 for my scooter with no problem.
That's it then! I believe her!

Once I went to the H-D dealer to get a master link and the kid behind the counter said he had never seen a Harley with a chain before but then to bolster my confidence he said he was learning about the old bikes. That's when I smiled, said thank you, turned around and walked out...

Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Basically it says pick an oil and stick with it. Yes you can change brand and weight. Even mix them in an emergency (low on oil and the oil you use isn't available).
Just don't keep switching.
Also I believe the section on oil weight says to use the weight for the coldest temperatures before your next change. This implies that (depending on your area) you should use a heavier weight of oil during the summer and lighter weight during the winter.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Rev-tech is the only oil I have used that said right on the bottle "Do not mix with other oils?
and if U have to, to top off in low oil conditions, drain and refill ASAP.

The indy I got it off of said that was directed at not mixing with Dino oils....

Though I have in the past mixed in a quart of different oil between changes,( in cars and trucks) I prefer not to do it. and now wont in the bike.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Got this from a real oil guy.The different additive packages that they put into the oil will cause some oil loss for a few oil changes untill your motor reseats.This is even a planned thing when fleets are changing from one type of oil to another,they are warned about some oil consumtion untill their engines reseat.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Don't wanna go mixing oils cause that can cause some issues but switching is A. O.K.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Got this from a real oil guy.The different additive packages that they put into the oil will cause some oil loss for a few oil changes untill your motor reseats.This is even a planned thing when fleets are changing from one type of oil to another,they are warned about some oil consumtion untill their engines reseat.
Fast Hoss, if that is actually what he said you need to find a different "real" oil guy. Everything in that engine is "seated" in very few miles after being assembled. To say changing oils causes things to reseat is not very intelligent. If that were the case people with a worn engine could just change oils, everything would "reseat" and we would never have to tear down for wear related issues ..........

Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

My owners manual (09 Ultra) says that in a pinch to use a diesel rated oil but to change as soon as practicable.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Well guys; Anytime you change from one type or brand of oil to another, you are mixing oils. If you drained the oil tank and engine, and flushed both, then you would not be mixing. Every time I change oil in my 99 Softail, there is at least 6 oz. of oil left in the system. Personally, I do not think it is a problem. Half Harley 20-50 dino oil, mixed with half Mobil 1 20-50 synthetic works OK for me, until somebody shows me why I can't. All I have ever heard is do not do it. No one has explained why you shouldn't, or exactly what it does. I do not believe the chemical reaction thing. Your mileage may very.

Quick Reply: HD CAUTION - "Do not switch lubricant brands..."