General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCW on a bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 PM
crasha51pan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCW on a bike ?

Wondering if any of you carry a weapon when you go on an extended ride. I ask cause when I lived in Calif., two maybe three times a year I would leave the wife and kids and head off into the mountains for 4/5 days. I would ride alone, needed the time just to clear my head, I would just ride until it got dark then pull off into the trees to camp...I carried a small S&W Airweight 38 snubbie, I got to wondering what the law was in regards to carrying it on a bike. I called the local sheriff's office and asked. I know the rules for a car but when I asked about the bike, the cop said that he really didn't know. I would pack it away in my sleeping bag and only brought it out once I was camped back in the trees.
Living in Montana and now have a CCW (carry concealed weapon) license, those were impossible to get in Calif. A clean background check, weapons class or military training, and pay the fee, you get your license up here.....

Last edited by crasha51pan; 11-29-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rule of thumb has always been, it is better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six. In other words, if you feel the need to carry one, do it. Rather that, than regret not having one. As long as you don't go down the road waving it around, you won't be hassled.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes I am armed, sometimes not.
Depends on where, when, with whom, and for what purpose.

Like countless others have said, don't be stupid and start waving it all over the place and you should generally be fine.

There is a mentality that goes along with carry.

Most sane folks avoid potentially dangerous situations, practice superior situational awareness, and would only engage a weapon as a last resort.

As long as one can accept and manage this basic philosophy, I think that that person should consider carrying.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:19 PM
meanderer
Cruiser

I carry my G23 every time I leave the house on the bike. Find a method of carrying that is comfortable to you (sometimes the hardest part) and just walk out that front door. I am always aware of what route I'll be taking since SC doesn't honor my permit.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:29 PM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meanderer, check your reciprocity again. SC now recognizes our KY CCDW lic.

I'm looking for a good carry method for the bike. Currently use IWB when not in a vehicle. Gun is under my seat in the truck. Haven't got a solution yet for the bike but looking at leather vests with a CDW pocket.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:37 PM
screws4156
Road Captain

Back in my Goldwing days I would get cage drivers pulling up too close Or try passing with out changing lanes. I had a Desert Egale at the time, so I started strapping it on when I would go riding. Almost right away the cages started giving me the room to ride. I never had to touch it. But you couldn't miss if you passed me. Now a days I have down graded to a Modle 19 S&W snub nose But rearly see the light of day.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

So what is the law concerning carrying in your luggage trunk or saddle bag. I don't have my CCW but when I go to the range, I just put in in my tour pak. I keep the mags unloaded until I get to the range.

I've wondered about taking it camping the same way, but not sure it's legal. Also, don't know if it's legal to transport across state lines if its in the tour pak or my cage's trunk.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:51 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,120 Likes on 22,588 Posts

I don't believe that you can take it into a Federal park, or then it becomes a federal case, not a state, nor county but federal, nice huh?

Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I am fortunate due to the fact that I am one of the few that can carry a concealed weapon in California. One of the requirements of carrying is that I have to qualify quarterly on whatever weapon I wish to carry. In the twenty years I've had this ability, I've only carried it 2 or 3 times. I just don't feel the need. I don't live in or near any big cities and there isn't all that much crime locally. I'm sure I'd feel different if I lived in another part of the state. To address the OP's question, I'm not sure of the requirements on a bike. If you have a concealed permit, you can carry it loaded on your person. But, like the above poster stated, there are places where you're not supposed to carry.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

I use a conceled carry holster that fits on my belt and is almost invisible.
You can find them at most gun stores.

Quick Reply: CCW on a bike ?