General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCW on a bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 PM
DHart
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhfguy
A lot of the posts in this thread imply a need to carry weapons for safety reasons.

I don't understand why people choose to live where they feel they are not safe, some even on their own property. Why not move and live where it IS safe? Surely the entire country isn't unsafe, is it? If I didn't feel safe where I was living, I'd move... another street, another neighborhood, another city, another state, another country. Whatever it took. I put my and my family's safety at a #1 priority. But that is just me.

I am not trying to stir up dirt here, but trying to understand. Yes I know where we live is often dictated by proximity to family, or employment. Is that predominantly it? Or are there other compelling reasons to live in unsafe areas?
Some areas are clearly less "risky" and safer than others. But there is no place where you are guaranteed safety. And the ability to call 911 is meaningless when you're staring evil in the eyes. Police generally show up after the mahem has ended to write reports and put up tape. They cannot be expected to protect you and your family moment to moment... that's YOUR job, using good sense and, if necessary, tools of greater force. Do so as you feel necessary and may lady luck be on your side.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I carry a Colt 1911 when riding and otherwise as CCW. Why? It's the Republic of Texas!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 AM
DHart
Tourer

Originally Posted by houstonhdguy
I carry a Colt 1911 when riding and otherwise as CCW. Why? It's the Republic of Texas!
Gotta love Texas (and Colt 1911's)! I love Texan's politics, justice, and mindset! I like the weather better here though.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 AM
BIMC Stinger
Cruiser

I have always been a huge fan of concealed carry permits and always felt that all those who are willing and able (and have the right mindset) to do so, should. I have been on the job for over 8 years now and I still believe in CCW permits. I actually refuse to do much of anything in IL even though I was born and raised there because of the draconian gun laws there. I refuse to be a cop there because of that law, as well as a few other "Chicago laws" I don't agree with. Now, that being said, I carry EVERY SINGLE MILE I ride. I, because of my job, am allowed to carry in every state in the US and I feel like it is only the smart thing to do with all the miles I travel every year on my bike and all the remote places I find myself-where I could possibly break down, be stuck by myself etc. Also, due to my job and life experiences, I have found that things can go south really quick any time, anywhere! That is another reason I am a HUGE fan of legal CCW for the average Joe as well as the LEO.

Everyone be safe.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:21 AM
les63
Tourer

Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it, I carry all the time and have a CCW

Old 12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DHart
Some areas are clearly less "risky" and safer than others. But there is no place where you are guaranteed safety. And the ability to call 911 is meaningless when you're staring evil in the eyes. Police generally show up after the mahem has ended to write reports and put up tape. They cannot be expected to protect you and your family moment to moment... that's YOUR job, using good sense and, if necessary, tools of greater force. Do so as you feel necessary and may lady luck be on your side.
+1

Remember that law enforcement....at least about 99% of it is reactionary in nature. They come when things have already happened. Very little of law enforcement is pro-active work. Trust me...after 11 years as an LEO, I know. As was stated above...you are playing the percentages...some places the percentages are low...and some they are very high...but to assume you are totally safe, irregardless of location, is, I am sorry, a very foolish assumption, however it is a choice we all make for ourselves.

Unfortunately there are some very bad people out there...and granted, the chances of running into someone who actually will do harm to you or your family might very well be remote...but what if you do? What then?

It has been litigated over and over in court that the police have no obligation to protect you. Don't get me wrong, I think I can safely say for most of the LEO's here that they certainly would not sit back if you were in danger, but the mathematics simply don't support the chances that one will be there when you need them. 305,000,000 people in the US and about 750,000 LEO's. Do the math...but remember to divide the 750,000 by 3 first....because they don't work 24/7.

The bottom line is that (at least right now) a law abiding citizen in most states can own and carry a firearm. It's a choice each has to make for themselves...and I respect those who don't just as I respect the ones that do. Hopefully those that do realize the responsibility they have taken upon themselves, and are proficient enough with the use of weapons that they aren't creating more problems....although that is probably wishful thinking.

Personally I carry...and will continue to do so. I simply refuse to end up a victim. You can say all you wish about "be in a safe area" but I have seen a number of people assaulted and worse in areas that many thought were "safe". As I said...it's all about the percentages.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

A lot of the posts in this thread imply a need to carry weapons for safety reasons.

I don't understand why people choose to live where they feel they are not safe, some even on their own property. Why not move and live where it IS safe? Surely the entire country isn't unsafe, is it? If I didn't feel safe where I was living, I'd move... another street, another neighborhood, another city, another state, another country. Whatever it took. I put my and my family's safety at a #1 priority. But that is just me.

I am not trying to stir up dirt here, but trying to understand. Yes I know where we live is often dictated by proximity to family, or employment. Is that predominantly it? Or are there other compelling reasons to live in unsafe areas?
up until a few weeks ago I would have thought that a military base on American soil would have been one of the safest places on the planet... but I was wrong. While some places may be safer than others, none can ever be 100% truly safe. If you choose to allow you and yours to potentially be in harms way, so be it, thats your choice, just don't try to force your choices/beliefs on me and mine. as said by previous posters, police are not there to protect you in 99% of the cases, they can only try to catch and convict the person that did it. if you don't beleive this, just watch the news one night.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
crasha51pan
Cruiser

Went into Libby yesterday and started the paperwork. Easy process, finger print and mug shot. Background check and my DD 214 and range record is all it takes. $55 for a 4 year permit, $25 renewal fee. Gal said it all looked fine and I should hear around the first of January....Glad I did it, have always carried on the longer trips, now I'm legal....

Last edited by crasha51pan; 12-02-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM
DHart
Tourer

Originally Posted by SlowRain
The bottom line is that (at least right now) a law abiding citizen in most states can own and carry a firearm. It's a choice each has to make for themselves...and I respect those who don't just as I respect the ones that do. Hopefully those that do realize the responsibility they have taken upon themselves, and are proficient enough with the use of weapons that they aren't creating more problems....
An important point! Some believe just buying a weapon and having it around is good enough. Nothing could be farther from the truth. If you're going to arm yourself, you MUST be proficient, extremely vigilant to safe handling, and educate yourself on what all this means by being armed.

I am ALWAYS armed, around the house and when out, even though I live and work at home on acreage in a low-risk, safe rural suburb. But I'm also always vigilant about safety and full awareness of the huge responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm.

Last thing I would ever want to do is have to pull out my weapon in defense... but if I had to, I would be so thankful that I would at least have the possibility of not becoming another helpless victim of some scumbag's evil intent.

Last edited by DHart; 12-02-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
BIMC Stinger
Cruiser

I understand what you are saying, and I will try to get you to understand where I am coming from and possibly the others on here. My feeling is this: Due to my job and the constant exposure to violence I have seen I feel that there is NO "safe neighborhood" anymore. We are a much more mobile society these days and it shows in the crimes and places they happen. I see more and more burglary and home invasion style crimes in the "nice neighborhoods" or subdivisions where even other cops are saying "Wow, you wouldn't expect this to happen here". Well, the criminals are much more mobile than 40 years ago, or even 15 years ago. I hear old timers talk about the "old days" all the time where I work cause we have many with 25-25 years on the job. I have heard many speak of how it used to be you only ran into criminal X in the north end and criminal Z on the east side or criminal Q on the west side. Now, I run into them in every part of town because they have come to find they can do it anywhere and get away easier by driving and getting lost in traffic. AND it's best to do their dirt farther away from their home turf-cause less chances of someone knowing you across town from your house.

It has also become obvious to me and many others that violence seems to escalate much quicker these days for some weird reason. I am sure many would love to theorize about it for days (video games, TV/movies, poor parenting etc) but all I know is things do seem to go to hell in a handbasket much quicker than they used to according to my observations in person and also from speaking with 30yr vets of my job.

Taking all this into account, I feel even more strongly about honest, good people carrying to protect themselves if it comes down to it. I have come close on four occasions to almost pulling the trigger off-duty or before as a civilian with a permit. I'm glad I didn't have to do it, but more glad I had the chance to protect myself and in two cases those I love.

One quick story then off my soapbox: I stopped at a gas station in Memphis right by Graceland. My (now ex) wife was with me. I am gassing up and some thug comes up and says "gimme a dolla". I said "I've got nuthing for ya man, move along". He says " F#@K that, I know you got some money man, look at your ride, just gimme a dolla". Now I turned and faced him and squared up, and with an serious tone said "Leave me alone, I'm not giving you anything, now GO!" He then threatens "Muthaf'er, if I want it I'll just take it!" Now I swept my shirt back and showed him my holster and told him "that would be the last thing you did, now you need to get on down the road before you get hurt". Now he says "Gimme your *&#^$*$(&# keys!" He continued to threaten and I broke leather and explained to him I didn't think that was going to happen. NOW he saw things my way. Last I saw he was running like a little B*&^H across the street like his butt was on fire. Did I want to shoot this guy? Of course not, but I was stuck in a bad situation because I was on E and this was the closest gas station at the time. Sometimes you can avoid trouble, most of us on here probably try to. But sometimes trouble will find you no matter how hard you try to avoid it.

Everyone be safe!

Quick Reply: CCW on a bike ?