General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG, Speed, Range, and Time Saved

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:17 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

While pulling the trailer between Mitchel and Rapid City in 08 ( the only time in 6 trips to Sturgis that I decided to trailer) A car passed me 5 times in the 350 miles. I was going 60 and the car was doing about 75. Going faster does not get you there sooner. Average speed does. This year my son and I went the 856 miles from my house in Illinois to the Best Western in Strugis in 13 hours flat.

That is just shy of 66 miles per hour average. In the past I usually averaged 60 mph.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

i have the se a/c, vance and hines big shots, and a pciii. i average 39 mpg mixed highway/city riding. however, last summer when i went to sd, i got as high as 53 mpg. we were running anywhere between 70-75 mph. i don't know what it goes down if i go faster, never measured it....

Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found on my 8500km trip from Vancouver BC to Bakersfield CA via PCH, over to Vegas then up I15 to Edmonton AB then through Jasper back to Vancouver if I kept the bike on cruise control at the speed limit I had incredible mileage and it seemed to take FOREVER before I need to stop for fuel. If I don't use the cruise and stay around 10 to 15km over the limit I have to stop more frequently and lose almost 250 kms/tank

Old 11-29-2009, 01:23 AM
R-Jay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Faber, I see you live in "the last best place" too. (I "exist" in Sidney!) Out here in "West Dakota" at 70 mph I get 50-52 mpg, but at this end of the state, there is even less stuff around so its hard to keep it under 80!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I absolutely agree with the OP. Travelling to Daytona a couple of years ago I was coming across I10. I usually cruise right at 79mph or faster if I can tuck in behind some car or truck haulin azz. I would blow past two old guys that were putting along, give em a wave and move on down the hiway. I would stop for gas and hit the road again, open the bike up again and down the road I passed them... next stop, same thing. 3 times in 400 miles this happened and I realized, all things considered, I wasn't making any better time than two old guys doing 65 mph. They had to be chuckling at me also...

I still can't make myself go 65 though...

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-29-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

Rode 550 miles yesterday, going there i rode mostly Intersate 70-75 MPH 42 MPG, when we got off the HWY and took backroads 55-62 MPH went up to 46 MPG??? 4 MPG isn't gonn abreak the bank but i will stop every 150 miles anyway so i will fill up...If you are going cross country i guess it can add up to a pretty good savings to slow down if you have the time that is?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, an extra stop ain't a real bad thing when you are tired and getting to that extra stop a lil quicker can have it's benefits.

But on the flip side of that,..... the law presence in the last year or two has increased dramatically in most every state. I believe it's the economic issues that cause cities and states to seek more revenue from offenders.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
sawinwa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
First of all, an extra stop ain't a real bad thing when you are tired and getting to that extra stop a lil quicker can have it's benefits. ....
That's my motto. Ride at whatever speed is comfortable given the conditions, LE presence, etc. THE GOOD THING IS THAT YOU'RE ON A BIKE, SO YOU'RE GETTING BETTER MILEAGE THAN MOST PEOPLE ON THE ROAD ANYWAY! I see anywhere from high 30s to low 50s MPG, depending on city/highway, stop n go, etc.

Who cares about a few extra MPG... it's all about the ride, isn't it... not whether it costs an extra $10 worth of gas per day?

Old 11-29-2009, 01:03 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Coming back from the coast last yr I ran a steady 100 mph for 100 miles, Bike was loaded up with all I could get on it and in saddle bags and the ole lady on back, got about 38/39 mpg on that stretch, filled up before I started that leg and when I pulled in.
I have "turned her up" some since, I cant get more than 32 mpg at any speed, I suspect if I had cruse control I would get a little better.
After I put cams and a re-tune I should get better, but that would probly depend on if I tweak the #'s on the tune or not.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
snook592
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackRob
On a recent 2,600 mile trip from North Carolina to Texas and back I noticed that highway speed had a big impact on my MPG. At 70 mph I avaraged a steady 39 miles per gallon. After filling up and cruising at 80 mph my MPG dropped to 31 at the next gas stop. Riding an average of 900 miles a day I figured that any time saved by going 10 mph faster would be negated by the need to make one extra gas stop each day, not to mention if I got pulled over by The Man.

This was a totally unscientific experiment I did just because I was really bored on the highway. My bike had a windshiled with lowers, 170 lb rider, and about 50 lbs in the saddlebags, plus a range bag strapped to the back seat. All riding was on the highway at steady speed with no stops other than fuel stops every 130 miles or so. I did calculations for every tank during the trip so I would know what the true range of my bike was.

Conclusion: seems to me there's no real point to speeding on a Harley. Please don't think I'm some sort of anti-speeding nut, I also own a Hayabusa and love going fast.

So, anyone else have any similar experiences? Any ideas to improve MPG while touring?

As I do the math with a 900 mile day and stopping every 130 miles you need to make 7 stops regardless of doing 70 or 80 mph

Quick Reply: MPG, Speed, Range, and Time Saved