General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Woman Gets 18.5 Years for Killing Motorcyclists in Car Crash

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:14 AM
stonewall308
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2
If someone were to accidentally come into a lane just by not paying attention and cause a fatal accident, 18 years is way too much. A lot of people say that anyone who causes this or that for any reason should go away forever and ever, but they seldom forget that it could very well be anyone close to you who causes these accidents. No one can sit here and tell me that while you drive you never change your radio station, CD's or fumble for change before the next toll booth...etc... If you don't, I'll be willing to bet your wife, daughter, son, brother, sister, etc does and if they ever hit anyone fatally, it would be an accident. You don't throw people in prison for accidents.

Horrible logic.

Driving safe isn't difficult. People on the road these days just have a reckless disregard for the safety of others. It is unacceptable.

Most accidents are caused by people simply being to trifling lazy to turn their head and check their blind spot, or people trying to go +20 mph over the speed limit in congested traffic. If you honk at these people, they will flip you the bird and speed off. But then they cause an accident that takes someone's life, and it is "oh, pity me, it could happen to anyone." Well, no, it couldn't happen to anyone. It can only happen to those who are grossly negligent. As such, you deserve to do HARD TIME.

You act as if "not paying attention" while operating a +1 ton amalgamation of metal which is hurdling across the earth at +70 mph ought to be an accepted norm. It is this attitude that gets people killed.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:18 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I don't know all the details of this (or any other) accident.
Prior record, behavior and attitude should contribute to sentences. 18 years is a stiff sentence but could be justified.
How much money a person has should not make a difference, but obviously does.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Maybe the fact that one of the dead bikers was an off-duty LEO had something to due with the 18 year sentence? FULL STORY HERE
I must have skimmed past that the first time.

NOW, I see why she got the asinine sentence.
Had the off-duty LEO been driving the car, it would have been probation.

The world we live in.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

You act as if "not paying attention" while operating a +1 ton amalgamation of metal which is hurdling across the earth at +70 mph ought to be an accepted norm.
Dam sure can't be compared to pulling an O.J.,......WTF.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:47 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior

Maybe it is a stiff sentence, but two people won't ever be going home. Accidents are one thing, but driving wildly at 87 MPH is completely avoidable. 9 years per fatality is a bargain for her.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by atrain68
Maybe it is a stiff sentence, but two people won't ever be going home. Accidents are one thing, but driving wildly at 87 MPH is completely avoidable. 9 years per fatality is a bargain for her.
3 people won't be going home to their children.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
amen.

No offense, but I think your sympathy for the perp is misplaced ed

Old 11-27-2009, 10:41 AM
threeten
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I really doubt she will do anywhere near 18 yrs, but good on the judge for giving it.
I don't think she will either. With time off for good behavior, she may do as little as 1/2 her sentence, and she will be eligible for parole before that.

It is important to remember that she also had her two children and brother in the car, endangering them as well. One of the bikers who was killed had two small children who will grow up without their dad now.

I don't understand the sympathy for this woman. I think her sentence is about right.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:50 AM
stevengb
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Thundermug
Yeah, I change stations...but I don't stare at the radio while I do it. Do you?

I don't even need to look at the radio as I reach for it. I know where it is, and as I reach for it and touch it, there are certain features I can tell what I am touching. Once I feel the volume klnob, I can feel the presets and push them till I find what I want.

I've taught my wife this also.

When I am driving I don't look at my wife when I talk to her either.

Legally there are no "accidents" but collisions. Wether they are from stupidity or negligence they need to be punished, severely. Suspension of the license, I think, is better than a fine. Instance of severe injury or death should be dealt with by jail time.

Some people do not take driving seriously enough. Those people don't deserve to have a license and drive a vehicle.
If you are saying you NEVER are distracted ever while driving...you're living in denial...it happens to all....whether it be fumbling with the radio or going back through the day at work in your head or thinking about what you need to do when you get home. Even if you do know where your radio is and don't need to look...you are still distracted enough to veer and cause a series of events that can lead to collision. Short of the blatant breaking laws like passing on the right....we are all susceptible to accidents while driving.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by schumacher
amen.

No offense, but I think your sympathy for the perp is misplaced ed
I understand you Shu and no offense taken.

We are just trading personal opinions here.

I don't understand the sympathy for this woman. I think her sentence is about right.
The sympathy comes from watching evil minded horrible people get light sentences. Our streets are full of them in every large city.

Some more sympathy grew out of finding out that having a LEO involved makes the Judge biased. A victim is a victim. What he does for a living should have zero effect on the sentencing.

What do you think the sentence would have been had the LEO been driving the same car? Never would have made the press.

5 - 6 years would have been more appropriate. That seems to be the upper end of the average sentence given in these cases.
(notice that I didn't suggest letting her go free?)

The "scales of justice" are supposed to be balanced.

This wasn't punishment,... this was revenge!

Last edited by Faast Ed; 11-27-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Florida Woman Gets 18.5 Years for Killing Motorcyclists in Car Crash