General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Woman Gets 18.5 Years for Killing Motorcyclists in Car Crash

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CroK
I believe a couple of you guys missed what she was charged with...

NOT for drunk driving or driving like an *******, but for driving a deadly weapon without a concealed weapons permit!
NOT for drunk driving or driving like an *******, but for driving a deadly weapon without a fancy lawyer.

18 1/2 years, can you imagine serving that much time? That is huge!
She'd have been better off stabbing somebody for their wallet. She would have done less time for it.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:18 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Personally would to see more get 18 years .. Has gotten to where some think is open season on Bikers on the Road ..

Old 11-27-2009, 01:11 AM
2DEUCE2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cptdenny
I remember reading about this accident back when it happened. Both bikers were off their bikes and parked on the side of I-95 in the service lane. Brice was passing cars on the right by driving on the service lane at speeds far above the posted 70 mph. These guys never had a chance to get out of her way.
If that is the true story, then I think that she got what she deserved. She probably deserved even more.

If someone were to accidentally come into a lane just by not paying attention and cause a fatal accident, 18 years is way too much. A lot of people say that anyone who causes this or that for any reason should go away forever and ever, but they seldom forget that it could very well be anyone close to you who causes these accidents. No one can sit here and tell me that while you drive you never change your radio station, CD's or fumble for change before the next toll booth...etc... If you don't, I'll be willing to bet your wife, daughter, son, brother, sister, etc does and if they ever hit anyone fatally, it would be an accident. You don't throw people in prison for accidents.

The truth is that our love for riding and that extra freedom we all feel when we go down the road comes with added risk. I accept it and choose to ride anyways. People do need to look out for us more on the road, but I don't think it will ever happen because I don't think there is anything that can really be done to stop it short of robot cars and that would be no help because they would probably not let us ride if that ever came to be.

Driving drunk, stoned or like an azzhole is no accident though and then severe punishments are necessary.

So I guess my final thought on the subject is this:
People cause accidents, accidents cause people. Stop the problem at it's source and wear a condom.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
She is being punished pretty badly for not being rich and paying the high priced lawyers. I think she should be punished severly, but dayum,..... 18 1/2 years?????? A driving offence?

You can rob 15 banks at gunpoint and do less time.
Its not a driving offense she is being punished for... its killing someone while she was driving and as far as your comment about robbing banks with a gun... 50 years would seem about right for that.

Originally Posted by bmac1000
Yes I agree 18 yrs might be a little excessive for an accident even for an idiot,now for Mr.Lane not only was he acting like an idiot,but he was passing 2-3 vehicles on a double yellow,he was also charged with vehicular homicide plead no contest,received 6 yrs,3 yrs prob.,pays all fees incurred,revoke license for life,and settled for an undisclosed amount in civil suit with victims family no where could I find anything about the cyclist being drunk--any way I guess the judge has the final word in either case
Yeah... the judge probably got his share too... Way too little time for what he did...

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2
If that is the true story, then I think that she got what she deserved. She probably deserved even more.

If someone were to accidentally come into a lane just by not paying attention and cause a fatal accident, 18 years is way too much. A lot of people say that anyone who causes this or that for any reason should go away forever and ever, but they seldom forget that it could very well be anyone close to you who causes these accidents. No one can sit here and tell me that while you drive you never change your radio station, CD's or fumble for change before the next toll booth...etc... If you don't, I'll be willing to bet your wife, daughter, son, brother, sister, etc does and if they ever hit anyone fatally, it would be an accident. You don't throw people in prison for accidents.

The truth is that our love for riding and that extra freedom we all feel when we go down the road comes with added risk. I accept it and choose to ride anyways. People do need to look out for us more on the road, but I don't think it will ever happen because I don't think there is anything that can really be done to stop it short of robot cars and that would be no help because they would probably not let us ride if that ever came to be.

Driving drunk, stoned or like an azzhole is no accident though and then severe punishments are necessary.
Yeah we all do what you say... but still, someone is dead because of a bad choice you made. It is your responsibility to maintain control. Someone is dead because you choose to change a CD, how f^cking ridiculous is that? You get to go on with your life, interact with your family, go on with your career... the person that is killed... you have taken away all they were and what they could have been.

Their family is not rejoicing I am sure they would look at it much different than you.

Responsibility my friend... responsibility...

Charlie D.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:21 AM
scoobysteve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably on her phone like most people I see in Florida, Us Europeans still cannot believe that its still legal to be able to use your phone whilst driving, bloody stupid. Every day I am on the road in Florida I see cars drifting all over the place and its always someone on the phone. One bloke actually forced me off the road changing lanes whilst I was next to him I could even hear him shouting on the phone, you should have seen what I did to him afterwards.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Rottiman
Road Captain
Location: Ontario, Canada home of the TAX YOU TO DEATH LIBERALS

Originally Posted by rydermike
He mean's Billy Lane .... DUI driving his pickup of a biker that was drinking too. BOTH wrong!
Yeah, one 3 years wrong, the other DEAD wrong..............................

Old 11-27-2009, 05:42 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2DEUCE2
. No one can sit here and tell me that while you drive you never change your radio station, CD's or fumble for change before the next toll booth...etc... If you don't, I'll be willing to bet your wife, daughter, son, brother, sister, etc does and if they ever hit anyone fatally, it would be an accident. You don't throw people in prison for accidents.

Yeah, I change stations...but I don't stare at the radio while I do it. Do you?

I don't even need to look at the radio as I reach for it. I know where it is, and as I reach for it and touch it, there are certain features I can tell what I am touching. Once I feel the volume klnob, I can feel the presets and push them till I find what I want.

I've taught my wife this also.

When I am driving I don't look at my wife when I talk to her either.

Legally there are no "accidents" but collisions. Wether they are from stupidity or negligence they need to be punished, severely. Suspension of the license, I think, is better than a fine. Instance of severe injury or death should be dealt with by jail time.

Some people do not take driving seriously enough. Those people don't deserve to have a license and drive a vehicle.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Squee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Thundermug
Legally there are no "accidents" but collisions. Wether they are from stupidity or negligence they need to be punished, severely. Suspension of the license, I think, is better than a fine. Instance of severe injury or death should be dealt with by jail time.

Some people do not take driving seriously enough. Those people don't deserve to have a license and drive a vehicle.

I couldnt agree more. 2+ tons of plastic metal and glass moving at a high velocity. I think way too many people take this responsibility too lightly. I am in favor of severe punishments for vehicular manslaughter. I think because our laws are not harsh enough people don't even think about consequences when they are doing stupid s***.

I remember when I was 13 or 14, got caught stealing from a store. Granted I have never done it since but if I thought the punishment would have been for my hands to be cut off, I can gaurantee the idea of stealing would not have even crossed my mind. I am not sayin I support it to that extreme..I am just sayin.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
She is being punished pretty badly for not being rich and paying the high priced lawyers. I think she should be punished severly, but dayum,..... 18 1/2 years?????? A driving offence?

You can rob 15 banks at gunpoint and do less time.
Traffic offense? She committed MURDER! And she should have KNOWN driving recklessly IS dangerous , Then again that's the root cause of most poor or aggressive driving on the roads . People are too ignorant on just how dangerous THEY really are.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:53 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think Faast Ed's family would be very happy if he was run over and killed and the perp only got a light sentance.

Quick Reply: Florida Woman Gets 18.5 Years for Killing Motorcyclists in Car Crash