General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some leather jacket questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 PM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TittiesOnTwo
Chromedome! I like the way you think!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just looked up my tracking # from Fox Creek , jacket is in transit from Portland Ore right now, should be at my house Monday,unless i go to the hub tonight or tomorrow and see if i can get it from them. Oh well, it's 28 out right now, and freezing fog, i'll stay off the bike until later.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Dirsuper
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
I can't imagine someone thinking you're a tool for wearing this jacket. It looks like it was designed to make the wearer look like they are part of a race team. If that's your thing then who cares what someone else thinks.
Got the jacket today. Rode to pick it up without one (froze the whole way) and then rode another ~100 miles with it. AWESOME!! Very comfortable and warm. I was only concerned someone would think I was a TOOL if there was some MC....or gang....or whatever affiliation associated with it. Race team....no chance, anyone who is behind me going through twisties will know for sure that I am not part of a race team. I'm getting more comfortable everytime I ride, but I am still being very gentle with this 800 pound beast.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:16 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirsuper
Got the jacket today. Rode to pick it up without one (froze the whole way) and then rode another ~100 miles with it. AWESOME!! Very comfortable and warm. I was only concerned someone would think I was a TOOL if there was some MC....or gang....or whatever affiliation associated with it. Race team....no chance, anyone who is behind me going through twisties will know for sure that I am not part of a race team. I'm getting more comfortable everytime I ride, but I am still being very gentle with this 800 pound beast.
To me, cool looking jacket, I would wear one. As far as the patches all of those are relavant to the lineage that make Harley.

Ride Hard

Old 12-06-2009, 03:56 AM
widget
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The most important part of a leather jacket

is the quality of the stitching and where it is placed. The problem is normally on the sleeves and shoulder. If you fall of at speed then there is a chance that the stitching will be in contact with the road and burst.

the second is the ability have armour. The purpose of the armour is to absorb the shock thus saving your back, elbow and shoulders from breaking in case of a fall.

Seen this happen on cheap race suits on track days from experience.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 AM
SalsaNChips
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update -- got my order from Fox Creek on Thursday. The Grayson jacket is top notch quality, excellent fit/finish throughout. VERY heavy and substantial feeling.

I decided to send it back for an exchange. I measured out at a 40 but ordered a 42 because I wanted a little extra room for a windbreaker underneath. That was a mistake -- it fit *okay*, but tended to bunch up in the front when sitting on my bike and in general, just seemed too expansive. After trying it on, I quickly realized that a jacket designed for a motorcycle is *supposed* to fit SNUG. So, back it went for a size 40. Lesson learned, don't order a size up, order what you measure out at and adjust from there if needed.

The exchange will be the Fox Creek Racing Jacket instead of the Grayson. They were out of the Grayson in size 40 and I think the vent option of the Racing Jacket may work out better for me in the summer. Also exchanged the gloves I ordered, upgrading to the lined version.

Yes, it's a little bit of work and expense to get exactly what you want when buying online. But this is probably THE jacket I'm going to be wearing for a LONG time so worth the trouble.

(BTW, the folks at Fox Creek were really easy to deal with on the exchange)