General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the Harley SE heavy breather so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Trying to address the actual topic here ...

I, too, have been puzzled by the price of the Heavy Breather. But it's not just the Heavy Breather, it's pretty much the whole range of aftermarket "high-performane" air cleaners. I remember the first time I saw a Kury whateveryacallit on some website. I thought it must be some kind of supercharger. ... No, just a damn air cleaner!

The Ness item is also way overpriced, imo (and simpler and no doubt cheaper to produce). Or try pricing some of the Wimmer products.

Check out this simple circle with a filter in it from Crossroads for a mere $285:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...&mmyId=7800007

Or this one from Cycle Visions, same price:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...&mmyId=7800007

Or this one for $565!

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/10/6/7715088

Indeed, spend some time on the DS page with air filters and check out the prices:

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/10/6

I've been lusting after this Roland Sands filter for months, but I can't see spending $369 for the damm thing:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...afCatId=&mmyId=

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!? Why is something so simple as an air filter so damned expensive? It doesn't work to just blame the MoCo. It's pretty much across the board...
A big +1 on your post. I've been shopping for air cleaners for my "new to me" Sportster and all the dealers are way over priced. The simple fact is they charge too much because we're willing to pay it. I'm gonna check out auto air cleaners to see if their cheaper and if I can modify one to fit my Sportster. Paying $250 or more is just too much.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer

Originally Posted by schumacher
no one here wants to pay 300+ for an air cleaner either.
Not all of us Harley owners have a lot of money (or at least we don't anymore). Some of us are havin troubles paying for the damn thing at the moment.
This is gonna be a long term problem for these companies. The yuppies are gone (for the most part), and anyone who rides softail down doesn't have a very high average income (saw that fact once on a Harley cutomer income reportdeal, I spose it shouldn't be surprising).
Something is gonna have to give in the industry..........or it's gonna vanish.

We just watched this on television a few months ago..........
Hey Shu... I agree with you. All the guys that bought a Harley just because it was the cool thing to do are gone. Thats why the market is flooded with used bikes now. I'm was on 4 day weeks all summer and just went back to 5 days about 6 weeks ago. I'm raising two girls and trying to maintain my bike at the same time. I'm prayin every Sunday that we come out of this recession. I WANT A NEW SOFTAIL CUSTOM!

Old 11-28-2009, 09:21 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Expensive is a relative thing. Peformance wise it's probably one of the cheaper accessories compared to cams, tuners, pipes etc. You get what you pay for. IMO

Old 11-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Punk_Rocker
Cruiser

$money$ is an abstract concept to me

the value of something is gauged by how bad i want or need it and then balanced by my responsibilites and obligations i make a choice

the actual cost is relatively meaningless, in thend niether $$$ or possesions are coming with me

its how much i enjoy it wile i'm here

buy it cause its cool, or cause you like it, or because it works, don't sweat the change

Old 11-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Punk_Rocker
$money$ is an abstract concept to me

the value of something is gauged by how bad i want or need it and then balanced by my responsibilites and obligations i make a choice

the actual cost is relatively meaningless, in thend niether $$$ or possesions are coming with me

its how much i enjoy it wile i'm here

buy it cause its cool, or cause you like it, or because it works, don't sweat the change
Nice philosophy, really. That works right up to the point that I feel like I'm being ripped off by someone's greed.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 PM
LX HEMI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because it has the word "Harley" in it....

Old 11-29-2009, 10:05 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Here, U can get this one for about $500... Now U think the SE's high....?????

http://www.cas4.com/Carburetors-Inta...rcewinder.html

Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Nice philosophy, really. That works right up to the point that I feel like I'm being ripped off by someone's greed.
You're only being ripped off if someone is forcing you to hand over your money. If you have the option to take it or walk away - you're not being ripped off, no matter how much they are selling it for.