General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009 | 07:06 AM
Figstr
|
Road Captain
Default Starting Problem

07 FXSTC with SE AC and VH staggard pipes - no fuel managment system.

Background: Fried ECM when I moved Fuel Pak in order to fit an aftermarket seat on the bike. The Fuel Pak was not placed properly by the dealer.

A new ECM was put in and I was told the tech used "updated" software. I could not pin down the service guy as to what "updated" software meant.

Before I picked up the bike, tech called and said I had a starter problem. Never had it before so leave it alone.

After I picked up the bike I had problems starting it. Starter would kick in, turn over a time or two and stop. Hit the start button again and it would turn over - sometimes took 3 pushes of the start button. I normally started fine when cold but not hot. Described the problem to my Indy and he tells me they screwed up the download.

Yesterday, want to use the bike to run errands. It's been sitting for a few days due to being out of town. I always have it on a battery tender. I push the start button and it sounds like a dead battery (new battery on tender, can't be dead). Starter kicks in and stops, then turns a couple more times and I see a puff of smoke from the right side of the the engine.

I turn it off and try again. This time it starts with no problem. I want to duplicate the puff of smoke to locate it so shut it down and restart. The bike does exactly the same thing on the first attempt - battery sounds like it's dead and turns, stops, turns, puff of smoke just before turning over. The smoke is coming from the throttle body.

Any ideas??? Oh, it starts pretty well when hot now..go figure.

Old 11-26-2009 | 09:30 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

check voltage at starter with multimeter,
check relay
check battery voltage, directly at battery..at rest then while cranking.

Old 11-26-2009 | 09:32 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

i do not know your knowledge base but these videos may help.
#9 #10 ?
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_619_mo...le-repair.html

Old 11-26-2009 | 10:37 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior

sounds like a loose wire maybe at starter or a bad ground