General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint job prices?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:55 PM
alabama1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint job prices?

i was reading someother posts and it was mentioned that a guy got a paint job that costed some ungodley amount come on,i mean thousands of dollars unless its a custom with intricut work but a basic paint job, you only got 3 pieces i just got my whole car done for less than a thousand and it looks great, can anyone tell me what they paid for a paint job on their bike? and do you think that it was worth it?

Old 07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: paint job prices?

I paid $1'200 for a paint job a few years back. Included was house of colors paint, two fenders, two side covers, and the gas tank. I had the tank painted a deep purple and had light blue flames put on it. All the other parts were painted deep purple only. I was happy with the work and thought the price was fair.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a friend who runs a body shop, he told me House of Kolor paint runs $500.00 a quart. Sounded crazy, but if you want quality that can drive up the price.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:06 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

500.00 per quart, hardly, a lot of the colors are under 100.00 per quart, most of it is priced less than ppg standard basecoats, I will agree it is very good quality though.
As for the price of a paint job, I know a painter from west central WI that charges $2000.00 for basic black, with graphics being extra, I think coaster's price of 1200.00 is a fair price. You could easily get half that much tied up in materials cost and even these small fenders and tanks still take up the room of an entire car in the spray booth. I paint my own bikes and do some work on my friends bikes but I do it because I like to and generally charge only materials plus maybe a steak or something.
ORIGINAL: Mrkicks

I have a friend who runs a body shop, he told me House of Kolor paint runs $500.00 a quart. Sounded crazy, but if you want quality that can drive up the price.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:43 AM
Johnny B Good
Cruiser

Ii think the $1,200.00 cost would fairly close for a basic job. At prices nowadays - $65.00 min. for labor + materials. Just today I bought
a gallon of enamel reducer at $40.00 and this job is being done with paint left over from another job, No clearcoat.
painting gas tank only (two tone with pinstripe outline, Body work on severly dented tank, Paint and materials & labor will still be close to $250.00. And this all for a friend in my garage. "Nothing cheap anymore"

Old 07-13-2006, 04:30 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: alabama1

i was reading someother posts and it was mentioned that a guy got a paint job that costed some ungodley amount come on,i mean thousands of dollars unless its a custom with intricut work but a basic paint job, you only got 3 pieces i just got my whole car done for less than a thousand and it looks great, can anyone tell me what they paid for a paint job on their bike? and do you think that it was worth it?
Look into what it cost to paint a bagger your talking in the 4to5 grand range for a custom job.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had an estimate done on my Sporty, it's a 4.5 gallon tank, it is two tone with double pin stripe, one small dent, the estimate by the Insurance Adjuster allowed $400 for repair and painting. $70 to paint front fender. One small scratch, solid color.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

He was refering to some candy colored paint, perhaps that brings the price up? not sure, but he had no reason to lie to me.
ORIGINAL: BVBOB

500.00 per quart, hardly, a lot of the colors are under 100.00 per quart, most of it is priced less than ppg standard basecoats, I will agree it is very good quality though.
As for the price of a paint job, I know a painter from west central WI that charges $2000.00 for basic black, with graphics being extra, I think coaster's price of 1200.00 is a fair price. You could easily get half that much tied up in materials cost and even these small fenders and tanks still take up the room of an entire car in the spray booth. I paint my own bikes and do some work on my friends bikes but I do it because I like to and generally charge only materials plus maybe a steak or something.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
canuk cruiser
Cruiser

He was refering to some candy colored paint, perhaps that brings the price up? not sure, but he had no reason to lie to me.
ORIGINAL: BVBOB

I think it all depends on the amount of custom work that is done, and the paint used. You want custom you pay for custom. 4-5 Grand though, that's crazy I think. I would say for $2500 US you could get a pretty sexy paint job

Old 07-13-2006, 03:02 PM
dyna2319
Tourer

I was told that the Dragon Fly Green from HD was $700.00 a quart just for the paint. Granted it is a metallic that changes from green to blue when the sun hits it. So I hope that I don't need to buy any real soon. Knock on wood, fingers crossed and all the stuff

Dyan2319
06 FXDWG/I with some mods, that the wife does not know about yet!!

Quick Reply: paint job prices?