General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint job prices?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:51 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: paint job prices?

Paid $1700 for the paint job on the Dyna....

Old 04-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

I am a custom painter and have spent over a month working on my Ultra. Some people are happy with a rattle can paint job, some Earl Scheib is fine, others want quality and that take time and lots of materials. They are expensive and paint goes up just like gas. Custom by nature is not cheap. Buy the paint job you like and your money can afford.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: vertigo14
Oh I wish you had some kinda picture that would show that metal through the clear coats....
Kinda like this??

I charge 250-300 bucks a panel for single color. Add 50 bucks for two tone per panel and another 50 bucks per panel to use painted pinstripes dividing a two tone.

It took me almost a month to complete the above paintjob and wouldn't have done it for less than 2K.

It is not uncommon for paintjobs to run 1000-1500 bucks for an allover with bags and stuff.

Beyond the paint is right about quality of time and paint. In both of my bodyshops, paintjobs for cars start off at 4000 and go to 13000. Prep and bodywork is identical. All items are removed, everything is wetsanded and buffed.

The difference is paint materials. (except for the 13000 paintjob, it's a show job which means painting the car twice)

You can buy materials to paint a car for 200 bucks or spend several grand on just materials.

My first shop just celebrated it's 10th year last week with word of mouth and referall only. No advertising, no phone books, no DRP insurance deals.

After almost 25 years, I can honestly say you get what you pay for.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 AM
beyondthepaint
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Storm 4 U

I'm in the same situation in the HVAC industry, a few customers bitch about my price, go out and hire some other outfit
and call me up later to come fix it. Sadly enough it's some of the biggest names in our town. Lot of misconception out there.
It does seem the ones who should be able to afford the best are the ones that skimp. I don't charge by anyones ability to pay, and I'm sure you don't either,but it seems the hard-working squeeze the most out of every dime types are the ones who buy the best they can get. I guess the working man understands its actually cheaper to do it right the first time. At least its comforting to hear it happens in other trades as well.
By the way, I just paid a pile for a new A/C unit in my house, I'm not complaining, because I bought top-shelf, and I know I'll be "COOL" for many years down here in GA. I know what you mean about the HVAC industry, I got estimates all over the map. Made my choice by dealer and product reputation and reliability.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Storm 4 U
Banned

Glad to hear you got good service beyondthepaint. now kick back with a chilly and enjoy the comfort

Old 04-28-2007, 11:27 AM
beyondthepaint
Cruiser

I'll be kicking back on the Fat Boy all summer long

Ain't life grand!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:59 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Chopped tour pak, inner fairing and cap...$500 Black Pearl, the HD paint alone cost $178 qt without the hardener or the clear.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:06 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Zyklon

Why the hue and cry over what someone else pays for a paint job? If they have sufficient discretionary funds that would permit that them to lay off several thousand dollars for a paint job (doesn’t matter if its just one color or fantastic air brush work) then that’s cool. If the bikes owner is pleased with the result, then it was money well spent. How many non riders would gag on their brown rice and tofu if they were told how much money each of us has tied up in our motorcycles?

And we all just keep piling on the accessories
Zyklon

Exactly!! If it isn't your money, why worry about it?? I think most folks (non riders anyway...) would think spending $20K+ on a motorcycle is sheer lunacy. And as Zyklon says, more money spent on accessories. I was at a bike show in January this year, and was commenting to a friend I was with about the exorbitant price of new bikes. (Who'd have ever thought we'd reach the "84 month Payment Plan" stage??) I said you'd have to be NUTS to pay that much each month for 7 YEARS!!! Roughly two weeks later I was signing on the dotted line for my Fatty. I've spent over $3K on extras (shhhhh...don't tell my wife...she doesn't think it was that much...LOL) to personalize it. (Could have had a HELLUVA paint job instead apparently...) Do I think I wasted MY money...hell no!! Do I care if YOU think I did...hell no!! As long as someone isn't asking me to finance their paint job or upgrades, I say "to each his own". Just my two cents...

Old 04-28-2007, 01:15 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

These are the ones I like. The quotes I got were for these. $1300 for the first. $1400 the second and $2500 for 3rd. I like the second one for my Fat boy

Old 04-28-2007, 01:59 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain

People don't consider what it cost to run a good shop. A new paint booth will run about $100,000, spray rigs are rediculous, air compressors, regulators, an airbrush gun is over $200. The price of paint keeps climbing, plus the cost of running a shop (elect, gas, insurance). I don't own a paint shop, but I know one of the best in my area. What about the jobs they do and the owner doesn't like it and want it redone? The 2 custom paint jobs I've had done were money well spent.

Quick Reply: paint job prices?