General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint job prices?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Zyklon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: paint job prices?

Why the hue and cry over what someone else pays for a paint job? If they have sufficient discretionary funds that would permit that them to lay off several thousand dollars for a paint job (doesn’t matter if its just one color or fantastic air brush work) then that’s cool. If the bikes owner is pleased with the result, then it was money well spent. How many non riders would gag on their brown rice and tofu if they were told how much money each of us has tied up in our motorcycles?

And we all just keep piling on the accessories
Zyklon

Old 07-13-2006, 08:17 PM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alabama1 wanted information, not to cry over someone else's expense
ORIGINAL: alabama1

can anyone tell me what they paid for a paint job on their bike? and do you think that it was worth it?
I was quoted $1000 to flame the blue base coat, on the fenders and airbox cover (tank). The base is in great condition and, as I understand things (?), could be scuffed, flames applied, and re-cleared.

This seemed a little high to me, so I got a red set instead. Wanted something different than the plain blue. When the red grows old, I will think of something else, but cost will definitely be a consideration in what I do next.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:24 PM
needaz
Cruiser

No paint on a bike here, however my car was painted in 2004.
I removed all the external parts and the paint job alone was $2500. That included rust repair in my t-tops.

I just had a front spoiler painted for the same car and it was $400. Remember... some paint is oil base.. so increase oil price.. increase paint price...

In the body work world... you get what you pay for...

Old 07-14-2006, 03:03 AM
Johnny B Good
Cruiser

Ok now try and fgure this out ! Paint cost, To paint a non-bagger : 2 fenders and a gas tank - No more than 1 qt. of paint. To paint a bagger : 2 fenders, gas tank, Fairing, bags and tour pack - about 2 qts. / Now if your two toneing you would buy 1 qt. of the tone color.
Now if your painting a car your going to buy at least 1 "gallon". of paint.
granted for each job you will need : Primer, Surfacer, Laq. Thinner, Activator, Hardner and others such as sand paper and body putty if there is any body work to do.

The car is a much larger vehicle and requires more quanity of material , time & labor. So why does it cost more to do a basic paint job on a bike than on car ???????????? Remember compare basic to basic.
While every town has a quickie type paint shop, You should compare the two jobs at the same place.
We have a Macco and used to have a Earl Schieb. They both have there horror stories. At one time you drove your car in, get out, They mask it, wipe it down with enamel reducer, Spray it, pull it out , remove the masking and away you go with still damp paint. That was for about $ 100. - $500. Kind of like a drive through car wash.

Sorry got of the subject. Anway a bike should not cost more than a car to paint. You can use the same paint for each. I think there's just allot of B.Ser's out there that want to make there product sound like it's something really great and the have these T.V. personallties hype it up.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:32 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zyklon

Why the hue and cry over what someone else pays for a paint job? If they have sufficient discretionary funds that would permit that them to lay off several thousand dollars for a paint job (doesn’t matter if its just one color or fantastic air brush work) then that’s cool. If the bikes owner is pleased with the result, then it was money well spent. How many non riders would gag on their brown rice and tofu if they were told how much money each of us has tied up in our motorcycles?

And we all just keep piling on the accessories
Zyklon

Funny you say that cause I b**ch if I have a car repair that cost me a couple hundred dollars but don't bat an eye to spend that on chrome!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:48 PM
bdsbigzrx
Advanced

most of my paintjobs run from between $1300-$2500. There are SOOOO many variables involved in paintwork that it's all but impossible to break it all down for you on the computer. Sit down with a professional painter and then sit down with your average automotive bodyshop Joe, and it'll be perfectly clear what you get/don't get when you pay the higher prices......

Old 07-25-2006, 12:01 AM
eddybo69
Road Master

This is one of those areas where I say you get what you pay for. 10k isnt unusual on a custom hotrod with minimal body work. I didnt spend that much on my bike, but it wasnt cheap either. The entire paint job is candy clear coat, no paint, The only paint on the tins is the pinstriping. But when it is out in the sun and I can see the brushed metal underneath it is worth every penny.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

I'm tickled by folks with no idea as to what it takes to do any kinda job sit back and complain about the cost. Havin' watched folks do a *quality* paint job, I can better appreciate the work involved. Most seem ta think it's a matter of slappin' on some paint, a quick sand, an' a li'l clear coat. A GOOD paint guy will take longer preppin' a fender than some of these body shops spend preppin' an entire car. Most folks are NEARLY as picky on a car as they are their bikes.

Had a guy call me yesterday, wanted me to come over to his house and install a water softener he bought from Sears for LESS than $250. Lemme see....30k truck, 30 minutes travel time, $1200 worth of basic tools for his "simple" 1.5 hr install job, $100 in materials....PASS!!! I explained to him that I'd already had all the training ah needed....

Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

See my sig. -2nd custom job in 4 years. Bagger =
2 fenders
fairing
tour pack
tour pack lid
2 bags
2 bag lids
2 side covers
2 fairing lowers (4 pieces)
worth $3k to do, you bet. The flame layout on all these parts takes forever, then sanding till you get the first layers of clear smooth so you dont feel the flames, then more clear.

A whole lotta time involved, not to mention material, tape, clear, paint, candy color, etc.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:09 AM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a painter in ALB at a bike show I look his photo albums over and seen his
work nice ,he said 350$ a piece with some silver webs and spiders.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/5A584A0265E04E1EAECF04EC38504AC1.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: paint job prices?