General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

towing in a uhaul enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 PM
jusglidin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my bike on ebay in Michigan.Wife and i did the one-way u-haul rental.Was going to rent the enclosed trailer but had no d rings in the floor.I went with the open aluminum trailer.That's what that trailer is really used for.Worked out great.Just my experience.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe given the choice, I would use a open trailor also. I want to be able to look back and see my bike standing up. If it falls while inclosed, you can not see it and it bounces for miles, it could cause alot more damage. But if you do use an enclosed trailer, strap it down good and check your straps after a few miles and every time you stop.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 AM
nufo
Stage IV

I will be moving other stuff and there should be some extra room in the trailer along with the bikes (I was planning on building a barrier between the bikes and other stuff just in case things move in the trailer). If I had the money I would rather rent a large moving truck and tow my car but it's just WAY beyond my budget right now.

The reasoning for using an enclosed is because I will be moving in the middle of winter across states where I will definitely encounter some snow and rough weather. I just wouldn't feel comfortable towing the bikes in an open trailer. I have used the uhaul open trailers in the past for my bikes and they worked great but definitely won't be doing that for a cross country move.

I read in another thread that one could take out the floor screws and replace them temporarily with some eye bolts. Has anyone used that method? Seems like it would be the most straight forward but I'm still leaning towards the "building a new wood floor with tie downs and wheel chocks" method. Thanks again for the input and keep it coming!

Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just fill the U-Haul trailer with styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap after you put your bike in there. Always glad to help. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-26-2009, 04:52 PM
nufo
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Danny D
Just fill the U-Haul trailer with styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap after you put your bike in there. Always glad to help. Happy Thanksgiving!
hahaa... styrofoam and bubble wrap... nice. Happy Thanksgiving man.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:34 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

2 bikes will be a bit of a challenge in a 6 ft width. Baggers would be problematic in having enough distance between them to prevent damage. Narrower bikes would work though, if staggered and facing fore and aft in opposite directions. I'e seem temporary setups using two 2X6 place across the trailer below the axel locations with 2X4 screwed on edge to the X6's to form tire channels and have to be as wide as the rear tires. Shims will snug the front tires. They had drilled in eyebolts about 4ft apart from the center in both 2X6 to tie down the front forks or bars. I was told it worked very well, and not expensive.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:07 PM
plumpbiker
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U-Haul rents 4x8 open motorcycle trailers. I rented one earlier this year to haul my 08RK to her new owner in Albany. They don't have a two bike trailer, but if you have a pick up truck you could put one in the bed and tow the second. The little trailer worked great. About gave me a heart attack for the first few miles watching the bike bounce all over the place in my rearview mirror. Once you realize it really ain't going anywhere it's a breeze. You'd surely get better gas mileage with an open trailer on a trip like you're planning. Good luck and ride safe.