General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what model should they bring back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad Boy gets my vote but I'm only 24 and havent seen all the beauties over the years!

Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Bad boy...awesome bike!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:14 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm quoteing myself so maybe someone will see this and help me out with an answer

Originally Posted by old skool1983
i knew the FXR was gonna come up, its name is droped so much when i talk to people who have riddin for a while.

so maybe someone could edjucate me

why? i have see a few and talked extensivly one day with a guy who owned one (i stoped to see if he was ok cause he was on the side of the road, turns out he had just rebuilt it and was havin some carb issues) the frame is cool, deffinetly stands out, the tank looks like a deuce tank, was it the performance of it? or does it just remind you of a different time? besides the frame, whats the deal?

Old 11-25-2009, 10:52 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
Since I own an 05 Springer Classic and love it I have to agree it's a great bike. I am glad that they only did a 3 year run on it however and don't want them to bring it back. One of the things I like about owning it is you don't see very many of them out there.
In August a group of us met in Goldendale, WA. Frogg was there with his 07 and wouldn't you know it an 06 rolled in with the same color combo. You're right, you don't see them often and we were blessed with two nearly identicle bikes in the same camp ground.

Originally Posted by carpetride
the SERVICAR....the ultimate bagger
I want one!!

I'm quoteing myself so maybe someone will see this and help me out with an answer
My understanding is they were/are the best handling big twin. With the design of the frame it is solid and stable in most everything you throw it into. No experience with one this is just what I've picked up here.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 AM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never had the pleasure of riding an FXR personally, but people that have say it is the best handling bike Harley ever made. Eric Buell designed the frame, and it has two engine stabilizers to go along with the rubber mounts instead of just one like Dyna models have.

Nowadays I see them riding all different model HD's but I remember not too many years ago the majority of the Bandidos in my area only rode two bikes, the Sportster and the FXR. I still see a few Bandidos that still ride FXR's including two that work as mechanics at a local dealer. I don't think it would be as popular with them if it wasn't a great bike.

Personally, I've always liked the look of the FXR frame, and if it handles as well as people say it does, well that is a big plus in my book. I've even thought about selling my Wide Glide and buying one, but I worry about parts availability in the future since it's been a discontinued model for so long.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:45 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

FXR fo'sho'!!closely followed by the FXDX-T

the handling on the FXR is tops compared to anything HD has ever made before it and since it...and i've ridden a lot of 'em...Texas is Bandidos territory and a lot of 'em ride FXR's

and there are a ton of after market parts for the FXR.the tanks are one of a kind since it has a squared back bone like the baggers

Last edited by notfried; 11-26-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:09 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1960 Duo Glide................

Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I agree on the Springer Classic and add the Road King Custom. Also a Sportster XLCH (kick start, baby ).

Guess you never owned one ... Used to set mine out on the highway on a cold morning with the key on and after someone kicked it over about 20 times would walk out and say thanks for the warm up ..

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 11-26-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM
POPS87FXR
Tourer

i knew the FXR was gonna come up, its name is droped so much when i talk to people who have riddin for a while.

so maybe someone could edjucate me

why? i have see a few and talked extensivly one day with a guy who owned one (i stoped to see if he was ok cause he was on the side of the road, turns out he had just rebuilt it and was havin some carb issues) the frame is cool, deffinetly stands out, the tank looks like a deuce tank, was it the performance of it? or does it just remind you of a different time? besides the frame, whats the deal?
Ahh Grasshopper, let me tell you,

The FXR was and is the best handling big twin HD ever made. The new (06+) Dyna comes close but that is because the engineers at HD went and found a low milage bone stock 92 FXR to use as a benchmark and tweeked the new chasis untill it was as close as they could get to the handling of the FXR.

As far as a differnt time, for me not really, the FXR was not warmly received when it was introduced. Too Japenese looking if I remember right.

As for me, I have ridden them for years and it does everything for me, hot rod around town, and with a seat change, long trips. I personally can not ask for more.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:50 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Heritage Springer.

Quick Reply: what model should they bring back?