General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helping out a biker

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:28 PM
zoomin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helping out a biker

So how many of use would stop to see if a biker broken down was okay or needed a hand? I stop just to make sure they're okay. Maybe they need to make a call and don't have a cell. So I was out for a ride when I caught something in my rear tire that put a big ol hole in it. I got off the road safely and I was okay. Now it was a nice Florida day so there was a lot of bikes up and down the road. So do we wanna guess how many of our bretheren stopped to see if everything was okay? That's right not a single one...zip...nada. I was kind of disappointed. I didn't need help but that's not the point. I guess bikers today aren't what we used to be.
The tire warranty and HOG are a pretty good deal. Got away for free.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:31 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I stop & help.

Toby

Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 PM
dabluesguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping this incident was an exception to the rule. Most of us would stop.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:37 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I always stop. Always have, always will.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:41 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 685 Posts

I hear ya'! about a year and a half ago I got stranded in St Pete when I tan out of gas on 275N. Luckily, I coasted down the exit ramp, and walked to a gas station. But that was not a fun time leaving my bike parked at the 275 exit of 22nd ave N! I saw several bikes that night and none of them stopped.

I also remember stopping and checking on a guy a year or so ago on my crotch rocket (Ducati). He was on an Electra Glide, parked off the side of the road. I asked if he was OK and he said just enjoying the day. I said it was a beautiful day and continued. I think he was surprised a sport bike stopped!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
dwdet10
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always stop. Did so today. The guy was pulled over to the side of the road talking on the phone. I slowed down and asked if he was okay and he gave me the thumbs up so I kept on going.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 PM
tencrore
Tourer

It doesn't matter if I'm in my car or on my bike, If I can stop and offer any assistance, I will.

Happened a couple weeks ago where my family and I were on our way to a friends place and stopped to check on a biker on the side of the road. He told us that roadside assistance was on the way and thanked us for stopping. Gave him a couple of bottles of water and went our way.

He was riding a crotch rocket, but he was a biker nonetheless!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

With only a few exceptions, the times I have seen somebody at the side of the road have either already been on a cell phone or, most typically, I am going way to fast to just pull in...but there's enough time for us to see one another, I always give the thumbs-up/thumbs-down sign to see if they need help. It's been about 50/50 that they even know WTF I am signaling...dang...times have changed for sure.

If it's in a remote area, I will turn around and see if they need help...any bike, any rider.

The last time I pulled-in to see if a guy and his gal needed help...they were more scared and sorta generally startled that I would come up to 'em than anything. Sorta cracked me up. Of course they relaxed when I smiled at them and asked if they were ok...but still. Cute little yuppies - sorta (ha).

Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM
kildar
Cruiser

I stop, and sometimes I even stop for cagers. Especially if they are out in the booneys where I live.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:03 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Well, that's an additional ability of bikers is to know in advance if someone on the side of the road needs help. As you said, you didn't really need help and they all knew that.

Quick Reply: Helping out a biker