General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helping out a biker

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me throw this out for everyone to chew on. Like most who have been in the saddle more years than I care to admit, I always try to lend a hand when possible. I always have carried tools with me, and since technology moves forward a cell phone.

Not to long ago, heading out of Chicago on one of our major tollways, I was in the far left hand lane, dong the legal bike speed limit. Now mind you, to me that's about 10 over the legal car limit. Up ahead, on the far right hand shoulder I see a fellow biker on the side of the road. Well it took a little creative riding to get over to his side of the road, and a little more creative riding to slow down enough, not to have a 4 wheeler ride up my backside.

As I get close to him, I grab my clutch, and rev the pipes. Now my bike probably doesn't fall within the legal pipes limits, and my short shots barked out.

Well Mr. Friendly biker on the side of the road, never looked up, didn't raise his head, never a thumbs up, nothing......

I will still try and assist others, but for all those who stop on the side of the road to grab a smoke........get on the cell to tell the ole lady ya won't be home for another 10 hours, or for those, just staring up at the clouds and watching the birds fly by.......do us all a favor........at least acknowlege to those of us willing to lend a hand, that everything is ok, ya don't need any help.......and possibly a loud Thank-you, as we pass by, would also be in order.

Respects,
Ed

Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 PM
oddtodd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helping

We were broken down on the side of the road one day with a wiring problems, worked for 3 hours between finding the problem and getting it fixed with what we had. In the 3 hours we were there only 1 guy stopped. But still I stop whenever it looks like someone may need a hand.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always try and stop and help.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

Helped several.
Most said they were OK and already had called for tow but then canceled.
They were surprised i had plug kit and compressor. (both in car and on bike)
They were all thankful and most wanted to give money.(refused)
Most riders are surprised people carry tools,compressor and plug kits..
Man it gets lonely quick and time goes real slow when you break down.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 PM
GetLost☠1982
Road Captain

Always stop to help. Pay it forward.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:51 PM
futureratbike
Banned

Originally Posted by wescoot2
Let me throw this out for everyone to chew on. Like most who have been in the saddle more years than I care to admit, I always try to lend a hand when possible. I always have carried tools with me, and since technology moves forward a cell phone.

Not to long ago, heading out of Chicago on one of our major tollways, I was in the far left hand lane, dong the legal bike speed limit. Now mind you, to me that's about 10 over the legal car limit. Up ahead, on the far right hand shoulder I see a fellow biker on the side of the road. Well it took a little creative riding to get over to his side of the road, and a little more creative riding to slow down enough, not to have a 4 wheeler ride up my backside.

As I get close to him, I grab my clutch, and rev the pipes. Now my bike probably doesn't fall within the legal pipes limits, and my short shots barked out.

Well Mr. Friendly biker on the side of the road, never looked up, didn't raise his head, never a thumbs up, nothing......

I will still try and assist others, but for all those who stop on the side of the road to grab a smoke........get on the cell to tell the ole lady ya won't be home for another 10 hours, or for those, just staring up at the clouds and watching the birds fly by.......do us all a favor........at least acknowlege to those of us willing to lend a hand, that everything is ok, ya don't need any help.......and possibly a loud Thank-you, as we pass by, would also be in order.

Respects,
Ed
Was he busy doing something he couldn't take his eyes off or hands from that he couldn't acknowledge you perhaps? It'd really suck if that was the case and you decided that since he didn't let you know your loud pipe blurb was directed at him as some sort of form of asking if he needed help and you kept rolling on and left him there.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:23 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a reputation with my wife and other members of our family...
I carry a large tool box where ever I go. I use to stop for anyone, any time. But lately I've grown to know that I'm going to get such a ribbing from everyone that rides with me cuz of my large toolbox in the back of the car/truck or my bike leaning to one side (the side that the bag with the tools are in) goin down the road, I've begun to leave a few tools at home. I've slowed on many occasions, but get dumb looks instead of any hint as to whether the people need help or not.

Then there was one of the last times I actually came to a stop and asked if they needed help, (group of about three bikes). The first answer I got was "does it look like we need another mechanic?". I've even been asked if I was one of those people with the 'hero mentalities', meaning that I am stopping just because want to be someone's hero I guess. I'll slow and look, but if there is no indication that help is needed I just ride on now.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:01 AM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member

its like an unwritten "biker" law to stop for a fellow rider who is broke down. i always stop.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

I always stop. Always have, for any bike any make

Old 11-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned from my Dad, early on, STOP n HELP. IT may be ME, next time.
I've carried that with me, since before I could ride, and I started that in 58. I stop, I MAY have the missing piece, they need.
Mo' "impotent", they WON'T be a stranger, to me, any longer !!!

I have even gotten a ticket, for pulling over and helping, on the interstate in the Cities. The LEO offered NO HELP, but was willing to issue a citation, to BOTH of us. Needless to say, the judge did not agree with him.

Yes, I've had the smart mouths who act like idiots, that you stopped. BUT I put them in the minority, and continue to stop.
Ed is right, tho. IF by chance it is YOU who are sitting there, AT LEAST be kind enough, to pay attention, and acknowledge whether you need help or not. Preferrably BEFORE the LEO comes along and gives BOTH of us, a HASSLE slip.

Since I have started trailering to Sturgis ('00), with the van and ALL the tools, I have either fixed or rescued a fair number of riders, stuck out on the prairie. NEVER aks for, BUT have accepted $$ for it. Have gotten a couple FREE meals.

The BEST was 2 guys from Pa. Hauled one of 'em into Rapid Harley, broken belt. Sometime after Labor Day, I got a Thank You card in the mail, with 2 $100 bills in it. He said I could mail it back, IF I STILL didn't want anything in payment. BUT he ONLY put his name, in the return address.
He actually found us (hard to miss the Cap'n) 2 yrs later out there. Been exchanging Christmas cards, ever since. And THAT is a story, onto it's self.

It's a SMALL world, and we're ALL in this, together. KEEP your stick on the ice, I'm pullin' for ya!!!!

Quick Reply: Helping out a biker