General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More than 3amp fuse for gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009 | 02:32 PM
Mr.Softy
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Default More than 3amp fuse for gloves?

Today was the first day cool enough to test out my HD heated gloves. I started up the bike, plugged in the switch, set the thermostat and rode for some 30 miles everything was great. I stopped at McDonald's turned off the glove switch and unplugged them, then shut off the bike. When I was ready to leave I started up the bike and plugged in the switch to the gloves. Started up the bike and turned on the switch but no indication that it was receiving power. I thought it might have been the fuse but didn't have any with me. When I got home I checked it and the fuse was blown. I only put in a 3 amp fuse as the gloves are 2.2 amps. Should I raise the fuse to 5 amps or did I do something to trigger the fuse?

Old 11-22-2009 | 02:58 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member

Sounds suspicious to me. I was unable to find any useful information about the electrical harness, etc... If they are the new gloves with the stainless micro-weave.... I would replace with the recomended fuse, and not put them on my hands... and try again. I would be leary of the teflon coating breaking and shocking the user. If it is a short, it will blow every fuse, no mater the amp rating. What amp fuse does the manufacture recomend?

Old 11-24-2009 | 05:24 AM
Mr.Softy
|
Grand HDF Member

The gloves are brand new out of the package. The harness that came with the gloves had a 5 amp fuse in it. I changed it out as I thought it was over kill and put in the 3 amp fuse. Maybe I should just reinstall the 15?

Old 11-24-2009 | 05:40 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rider1200
The gloves are brand new out of the package. The harness that came with the gloves had a 5 amp fuse in it. I changed it out as I thought it was over kill and put in the 3 amp fuse. Maybe I should just reinstall the 15?
Well.... you're right about the "overkill", the harness, will allow you to heat up gloves, vests, jackets liner, jacket, pants liner, pants, and socks.... in any combination.

But I'd put the 15 amp fuse, that Gerbings includes with the harness and forget it.... as you discovered. heated gear suck, without electrical power

Old 11-24-2009 | 05:42 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rider1200
Seems you've found your problem. I was wondering why you'd have a 3 amp fuse since mine came with a 15.

Old 11-24-2009 | 06:22 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

My bike came with 36lb air in my tire, but I chose to run 10lb,... and the tire rode funny. Should I add more air to my tire?

<friendly sarcasm>

Old 11-24-2009 | 07:11 AM
obonaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Seems you've found your problem. I was wondering why you'd have a 3 amp fuse since mine came with a 15.
The manual states to figure out the load you have (Add the gloves, vests, pants, etc) put the next highest value fuse in there. For gloves only 3A is correct.

You need to fix the problem not the symptom. That's like putting a penny in a breaker box to keep the outlet from cutting out. Problem solved? Nope.

Are your cable tight? Has the harness rubbed thru and not it is shorting out?

12VDC may not seem like much but it will cause a fire if disrespected.

Old 11-24-2009 | 07:30 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by obonaventure
The manual states to figure out the load you have (Add the gloves, vests, pants, etc) put the next highest value fuse in there. For gloves only 3A is correct.

You need to fix the problem not the symptom. That's like putting a penny in a breaker box to keep the outlet from cutting out. Problem solved? Nope.

Are your cable tight? Has the harness rubbed thru and not it is shorting out?

12VDC may not seem like much but it will cause a fire if disrespected.
3 amp is low. Putting in a bigger fuse is NOT like "putting a penny in the breaker box". 3 amp is very low. His symptoms PROVE that.

Now if he blows a bigger fuse, then I'd be looking for a poor connection somewhere's. A poor connection will indeed draw more current.

3 amp is too close and does not allow for even the slightest surge.

Old 11-24-2009 | 07:43 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

Unless you know more than the maker,I would put the fuse that came in it back in.

Old 11-24-2009 | 08:17 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
3 amp is low. Putting in a bigger fuse is NOT like "putting a penny in the breaker box". 3 amp is very low. His symptoms PROVE that.

Now if he blows a bigger fuse, then I'd be looking for a poor connection somewhere's. A poor connection will indeed draw more current.

3 amp is too close and does not allow for even the slightest surge.
+1 - a 3A fuse does not have enough overhead to allow for the initial "turn on" current surge. In addition to the gloves, the controller uses some power as well.

The fuse should also be a (SLO BLO) slow blow type. I'd recommend a 5A Slo Blo for a gloves and controller only configuration.

Quick Reply: More than 3amp fuse for gloves?