General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More than 3amp fuse for gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009 | 11:40 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by obonaventure
The manual states to figure out the load you have (Add the gloves, vests, pants, etc) put the next highest value fuse in there. For gloves only 3A is correct.
Checked my instructions and by golly you're right and I was FOS. There was even a 3amp fuse as well as others in the bag. Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 11-24-2009 | 12:40 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Checked my instructions and by golly you're right and I was FOS. There was even a 3amp fuse as well as others in the bag. Thanks for setting me straight.
I stand by my post. 3 amp ain't enough for this type of application. I don't care what their book says.
I'd go slightly higer, 5 amp at the least,..... or buy a pocket full of 3 amp fuses to carry with me. They are fun to change with cold numb fingers.

Think about it, how much damage can you do before blowing a 5 amp fuse? Hint: none

Old 11-24-2009 | 01:08 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by Harpoonman
Sounds suspicious to me. I was unable to find any useful information about the electrical harness, etc... If they are the new gloves with the stainless micro-weave.... I would replace with the recomended fuse, and not put them on my hands... and try again. I would be leary of the teflon coating breaking and shocking the user. If it is a short, it will blow every fuse, no mater the amp rating. What amp fuse does the manufacture recomend?
You're kidding right? 12vdc shocking someone? A tingle maybe if you licked it with your tongue.

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I stand by my post. 3 amp ain't enough for this type of application. I don't care what their book says.
I'd go slightly higer, 5 amp at the least,..... or buy a pocket full of 3 amp fuses to carry with me. They are fun to change with cold numb fingers.

Think about it, how much damage can you do before blowing a 5 amp fuse? Hint: none
+1 - as I said, a 5amp "slow blow" fuse would be the minimum.

Old 11-24-2009 | 04:21 PM
obonaven
Road Master

I stand by my original statement. The book say 3A is what should be in there (for gloves only) and the book is right. Not just because they said it in the book, but because that is what I have and have no problems at all.

Old 11-24-2009 | 04:28 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Actually, if the controller draws power you would be right to say a 5 amp would be the way to go. Don't remember anything in the instructions about the controller but my dual controller says it puts or feeds a max of 168w.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 11-24-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2009 | 04:29 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by cHarley

+1 - as I said, a 5amp "slow blow" fuse would be the minimum.

And worth repeating what was mentioned earlier by someone, can't hurt to go over your splices while you are putting that 5 amp'r in there. A poor connection will have more resistance. More resistance will draw more current.

Speaking of the resistance,.... this "2.2 amp rating" placed on the gloves is likely not including the controller, which should add a tad due to the extra resistance. (just an assumption there).

Old 11-24-2009 | 04:35 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

And worth repeating what was mentioned earlier by someone, can't hurt to go over your splices while you are putting that 5 amp'r in there. A poor connection will have more resistance. More resistance will draw more current.
Well, close, but no cigar. More resistance will cause less current to flow, but can generate excessive heat at the point of the poor connection. (I=E/R)

This single effect is the cause of many house fires.

Old 11-24-2009 | 04:39 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
Well, close, but no cigar. More resistance will cause less current to flow, but can generate excessive heat at the point of the poor connection. (I=E/R)

This single effect is the cause of many house fires.
Oh no, not another debatable item. LOL

I thought it was more current needs to be drawn thru it to achieve the same voltage. Don't have my books here at home. Might need some Google time.
I am pretty confident that the voltage will drop and the amperage increases with a poor connection. I will look around and hope to find out more.

What do you think the added heat will do to the current draw? I know for a fact that more fuses blow when weak connections are involved, so what's your theory on why?

Last edited by Faast Ed; 11-24-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2009 | 04:47 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

Oh no, not another debatable item. LOL

I thought it was more current needs to be drawn thru it to achieve the same voltage. Don't have my books here at home. Might need some Google time.
Yeah, it can be confusing. Voltage is a static potential; it doesn't go anywhere. Think of voltage as the pressure at a faucet. If you constrict the hose (resistance), you'll get less flow (current). The loss goes up in the form of heat.

Old 11-24-2009 | 04:57 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Actually, if the controller draws power you would be right to say a 5 amp would be the way to go. Don't remember anything in the instructions about the controller but my dual controller says it puts or feeds a max of 168w.
Have you ever seen an electronic device that does not consume (draw) power?

Anyone that has dealt with resistive heating circuits (that's what this is) knows that a cold wire (heating coil) will draw a higher than normal amp load until it reaches it's normal operating temperature. This is known as the "start" or "surge" current draw. The 2.2 amp rating on the Gerbing/HD gloves is a "normal/nominal" operating spec. and does not include any overhead for the amp (inrush) surge that occurs at "turn on". A 5A Slo Blo is a minimum requirement for this application.

OK, I'm done here unless there is another EE here that wants to disagree.

Last edited by cHarley; 11-24-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: More than 3amp fuse for gloves?