General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterproof Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might try looking into Ski Goggles. I used to use a pair, even over my panoptics glasses. They covered more of my face and made the rain a little easier to take.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the swim goggles or the dive mask will work. Yer eyes will sweat without any ventilation. They may also fog up from the heat inside vs. the cooler air outside, just like when diving.

You might be able to hold back the inner fogging by using the same technique divers use... spit into the inside of the goggles and rub them around creating a layer over the entire inner surface, then lightly rinse them in a bowl of water. We use the ocean, but if you were to rinse them under running water like a faucet, it may wash too much of the 'protective' layer away. They also make a commercial anti-fogger for that. There is one there under the ad for the Aqua Sphere mask in the 'Customers who purchased this item also purchased:'...
Most people we dive with call it Monkey Spit or Camel Spit.

But, I still believe they could cause sweating around the eyes, which would be just as bad or worse than the rain water. Salt in sweat makes your eyes sting.

Last edited by CroK; 11-21-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBoldRider
You might try looking into Ski Goggles. I used to use a pair, even over my panoptics glasses. They covered more of my face and made the rain a little easier to take.
Thanks I'll check that out.

Originally Posted by CroK
I don't think the swim goggles or the dive mask will work. Yer eyes will sweat without any ventilation. They may also fog up from the heat inside vs. the cooler air outside, just like when diving.

You might be able to hold back the inner fogging by using the same technique divers use... spit into the inside of the goggles and rub them around creating a layer over the entire inner surface, then lightly rinse them in a bowl of water. We use the ocean, but if you were to rinse them under running water like a faucet, it may wash too much of the 'protective' layer away. They also make a commercial anti-fogger for that. There is one there under the ad for the Aqua Sphere mask in the 'Customers who purchased this item also purchased:'...
Most people we dive with call it Monkey Spit or Camel Spit.

But, I still believe they could cause sweating around the eyes, which would be just as bad or worse than the rain water. Salt in sweat makes your eyes sting.
I'm not too worried about sweat as I usually don't sweat while it's raining. I would change my glasses back to my original sunglasses as soon as I could. I just want to use something when I'm stuck on the roadway at 50+ and rain is pouring down. Thanks for the info about defog. I use safety glasses at the range when I qualify. They use to fog on me until I used rainx on them. I will be using rainx on those googles also.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:58 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts
Old 11-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-22-2009, 01:30 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ski goggles.

They're designed to conform to your face/head and will keep wind out of your eyes. But understand that anything will eventually let in some moisture. The seal on ski goggles is foam. Why? Because some air does need to pass in and out to prevent fogging. Good ski goggles are not cheap. Try a few brands to see what fits your face best; they're not all the same.

Dive masks and swim goggles will fog.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:56 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After many frustrating and frightening trips through rainstorms with my glasses becoming almost opaque as it rained harder, I discovered that removing the foam liner solved much of the problem. It doesn't seem to be the water on the glasses (a full face helmet's shield has plenty of water on it) but the moisture trapped inside the glasses that turns to fog. By allowing a good flow of air, I have been able to maintain pretty good vision.

By the way, I have one of the WileyX models with prescription lenses which provides a removable foam gasket.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I carry a pair of swim goggles in my bags. Cheap and nothing works better

Old 11-22-2009, 03:23 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryL
Absolutely zero of the glasses at that webpage will keep out water. Did you look at them?
+1 on this.

I go with Bobsters
http://www.bobster.com/catalog/produ...Family=Cruiser

They are cheap and I've had them on in the rain and it did just fine. They are only like $20.

Attached Thumbnails Waterproof Glasses-googles.jpg  

Last edited by brutalbrad; 11-22-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I now have to wear corrective lenses while driving.... I had to go with something like this....

http://www.globalvision.us/products/goggles/styles/windshieldcl.php

I have had occasional fogging issues, but lifted slightly and it went away. I use the scuba spit technique on the inside, and Plexus on my windshield and on the goggles... it works, but I still prefer my full face modular while riding in the rain.

They now have a anti fog coating...maybe I'll get some new ones?

Last edited by Harpoonman; 11-22-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Waterproof Glasses