General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You posted the engine won't turn over and you posted that it just turns over and over without starting. Your posting that you changed out parts but not why you thought you needed to change them out. It is a four stroke engine--it needs ignition, timing, fuel, compression and exhaust. Check voltage to the coil. Do you have 12 volts going into the coil? Do you have fire to the spark plug? If not find and fix the problem before changing parts out. If you have fire to the spark plug------next do you have gas getting into the cylinders? If you do ---then that leaves timing, compression, and exhaust. Got a repair manual specific for you bike? If not spend some money on that before anymore parts change outs.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldairboater
You posted the engine won't turn over and you posted that it just turns over and over without starting. Your posting that you changed out parts but not why you thought you needed to change them out. It is a four stroke engine--it needs ignition, timing, fuel, compression and exhaust. Check voltage to the coil. Do you have 12 volts going into the coil? Do you have fire to the spark plug? If not find and fix the problem before changing parts out. If you have fire to the spark plug------next do you have gas getting into the cylinders? If you do ---then that leaves timing, compression, and exhaust. Got a repair manual specific for you bike? If not spend some money on that before anymore parts change outs.
+1 Very well said.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:57 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah, I'm confused on whether it's cranking and not starting, or not cranking at all. Can you clarify that?

I'm also unclear as to why you're changing out parts.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:26 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

The first post sez the engine turns over, then post #9 sez "it just won't turn over". Did you pull the plugs and spin the engine to see if the plugs are sparking? Did the bike start okay on the last ride? If the bike isn't starting or turning over then check the security fuse.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check the turbulator and the franken plugs?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Q ball
I replaced relay fuse, ignition circuit breaker, coil and crank sensor, I checked for damaged wires, I'm getting gas, but it just won't turn over, the engine light is not coming on before I start the bike
1st post you said it cranked but would not fire (start) this post it won't turn over? If it won't turn over it has a dead battery. 99.9% of the time. Sorry I cann't help more than that

Old 11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NFI, sounds like you have a cranking, but not firing, now not cranking bike?

As someone infinitely wiser than I once said to me "Seek professional help.."

Old 11-21-2009, 06:35 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Did you check the turbulator and the franken plugs?
There's no way it could be the franken plugs dumbass. He says it's not turning over and it cranks but won't start. Does that sound like the freakin' franken plugs to you?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
There's no way it could be the franken plugs dumbass. He says it's not turning over and it cranks but won't start. Does that sound like the freakin' franken plugs to you?
Sorry, my mistake. It would be the franken plugs if it was cranking but not turning over. Gotta read better next time. Try the histamonic elabutom instead.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You would think if the OP had a real problem he would be back in here quizzing the guys in the know...guess he ran out to get some more parts..lol

Quick Reply: Bike won't start