General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to buy a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Nick1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to buy a Harley?

So after the demo ride I was tellin ya'll about , we went inside to talk numbers on a fat boy lo. You guessed it, full sticker plus freight & dealer preps. Being new to HD, I was wondering, is that common? Is that what I should expect? I know the Lo is new and the salesman was telling me they aren't going to build that many of them. We shook hands and I said blahblahblah. I don't mind them making a profit, for I myself am a capitalist pig in this greatest country on God's green earth. I was just wondering from the experienced Harley buyers if this was common place. The 09's are probably a little less than sticker, right? Any buying tips would be appreciated. Thanks, N1.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:56 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

With this economy, you can get deals. They'll start there, but negotiate. Even on my Wide Glide I didn't pay freight/setup fees and got the 1000/5000 services for free. It's just like buying a car. No, that wasn't the case 5 years ago, but times have definitely changed.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the Fatboy Lo are new and is a hot bike but NO HD dealership is having bikes fly out of the showroom floor. I would go to another dealership and see if they will work with you but this time have prelaon approval and walk in and tell them how much you will pay.

If they think you are a newbee they will treat you as such. You can get good deals but they may not come off the price of the bike. If they do not work with you on the price of the bike start working the aftermarket parts side.... I have seen dealerships throw in tons.

Good luck

Old 11-19-2009, 08:07 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

It's real simple.Some dealers will deal,others wont.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
It's real simple.Some dealers will deal,others wont.

Amen.

Keep in mind, you are not just buying a bike, you're building a relationship. I have a great relationship with my local dealer, and it's worth a few bucks to me to have that. IMO, the question shouldn't be "How much can I squeeze these guys?" The question should be "How much is this whole thing worth to me?"

Frankly, I think the current MSRP prices are not that bad, and I got no problem paying them. There's a dealer in my area that "deals" more than others. I go to them last. The other dealers are better on other levels. YMMV.

Mark

Old 11-19-2009, 08:44 PM
davescreation
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i bought my bob new in 08 the dealer gave me the "disneyland" exp. free t shirts, hats even a pair of boots. Then the sales mgr offered me 15% off parts i was two busy adding in pipes grips and pegs to even look at the price. But lets face it nobody gets the same deal. I know ive been a car salesman for 8 yrs. its like this if you feel like you are getting a good deal then who cares how much the dealer is making. I shouldve known better then to sign up on full sticker but for 2 hrs it was like i was the first guy in the world to ever buy a harley. Price? how much better are you gonna do going to the next guy? Its the care after the sale that gets me sold.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Never pay full sticker price, if they wont budge go else were

Old 11-19-2009, 09:00 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In this economy there is a lot of great deals on newer Hawg's with low mileage, you could save a fair jag of coin!
My local paper is fat with bikes for sale. What you need to know is what a fair deal would be on a given bike so you can determine if the price is too high.
With a dealer, you are guaranteed that there is no leins on the bike etc which is good!
If you buy privately you will need to run the vin & make sure that the engine matches, or if it does not, Why? Dont buy one fast because you can afford it, take your time & be firm that you are not in a hurry & there is other dealers that would like a sale as well!
Anything they offer to sweeten the deal goes on paper before you sign!
If you buy new, educate your self on the cost of the first warranty check over or oil change. Sometimes that will cost a fair chunk. Mabey they would throw that in to get your business!
Good luck, Ask lots of questions here, we might be able to help you!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

If you want the bike, pay the price. Check with a few other dealers to be sure but what they are asking is fair. At least they are not asking several thousand over MSRP like they did in the 90s. Yes the economy is slow but they have to make a living also.

Some people will walk away from a deal over a few hundred dollars and then regret it for years to come. I learned the hard way that if I really want something to get it because it may not come around again.

People that brag about the deals/steals they got are usually exaggerating. Just sayin'.

I have never regretted buying a Harley-Davidson, even the '96 FXSTC that I payed about two thousand over MSRP for and had to get on a waiting list to get.

Good luck.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like my dealer and the service dept. When I purchase my 2003 RK, a lot of dealers were charging MSP or higher. I talked them into a couple hundred off MSP and was happy with that. When I traded for my 2007, I wasn't going to be happy with that kind of deal. I worked with them for a couple of months. I was considering upgrading and painting my RK and the day I made that decision, I told the dealer that I would be going that route unless they could offer me more. They gave me $500 additional on the trade in, threw in the SERT and did a retail trade on my cast wheels for chrome wheels.

I'd suggest checking with a couple of dealers and focusing on things like parts or service as the extra discount. BTW, most dealers will give 15% off on parts either at purchase or for some period after you buy the bike... at least my dealer does as normal business. So, try to go beyond the 15%... something like 50% off on a SEST or free download if you go to Stage I.

Just some thoughts to ponder....

Quick Reply: How to buy a Harley?