General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to buy a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,869 Likes on 977 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
Never pay full sticker price, if they wont budge go else were
Nick, read the above quote...words of wisdom my friend, words of wisdom.

Why anyone would pay a dealer full MSRP for a bike in this economy, is beyond my level of comprehension. If the dealer you went to won't play "let's make a deal," then find one that will. I guarantee you that they are out there.

Personally, I'd buy a used Harley from some dude that rode it for 800 miles, then decided that he doesn't have time to ride it enough. There are all kinds of these types of sellers of Harleys on Ebay. Tons of 2009 models (all models) with ridiculous low miles, and in showroom condition. With the amount of money you save buying from a private party, you could customize your bike exactly how you want it, and it would still be cheaper than buying a new one from some ripoff dealer. Think about it.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:31 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I treat all buying experiences the same, with the wealth of knowledge available, be an informed customer. Go to as many dealership as you can, know what you want, negotiate Out The Door prices. Personally I don't deal on accessories, because it's fairly easy to buy them at 20% off or better from Ebay or online and install yourself.

Know what you want to spend, be prepared to walk.

I do think it makes sense to buy from a dealership that you would also choose to do future business with (service, parts, accessories, etc...). It makes life easier in the future, but that MHO.

If you find yourself walking out of all the dealerships in your area, in this economy, you may be being unrealistic. Or, you just haven't gone far enough...

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GetLost☠1982
across the board on this one. There are two dealers in my area that have leftover FXDLs. I'm considering waiting until winter hits and they want to get rid of their leftovers. Right now they're saying sticker and that's the bottom line.
+1 I got my FDXL in January when the snow is blowing all over. My dealer usually has a January "super sale" event that is a 3 hour event on a Sunday morning when they discount bikes $1-2k under MSRP. In the dead of Winter here you have a real psychological advantage when you are the only customer in the showroom and it's a blizzard outside. Another good time is the week between Christmas & new years.

Keep shopping....you can always pay full price anywhere.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:06 AM
GetLost☠1982
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
+1 I got my FDXL in January when the snow is blowing all over. My dealer usually has a January "super sale" event that is a 3 hour event on a Sunday morning when they discount bikes $1-2k under MSRP. In the dead of Winter here you have a real psychological advantage when you are the only customer in the showroom and it's a blizzard outside. Another good time is the week between Christmas & new years.

Keep shopping....you can always pay full price anywhere.
good advice. thanks.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well im a cheap bastard so if a dealer wouldnt budge o nthe sticker price, i would expect him to throw in the first 2 warrenty services and a jacket, but like i said im a cheap bastard and my bike is 40 years old cause my local dealer is the type that doesnt budge o nthe price of anything, and doesnt know about things like promotional items *went i nlooking at a used bike that was $2k over most of the same year/model bikes i been watching o nebay and craigslist + had ALOT more miles on it, asked him if i paid askign price if he would throw in a jacket or at least discount it got not a chance as a reply*

Old 11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
GetLost☠1982
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
well im a cheap bastard so if a dealer wouldnt budge o nthe sticker price, i would expect him to throw in the first 2 warrenty services and a jacket, but like i said im a cheap bastard and my bike is 40 years old cause my local dealer is the type that doesnt budge o nthe price of anything, and doesnt know about things like promotional items *went i nlooking at a used bike that was $2k over most of the same year/model bikes i been watching o nebay and craigslist + had ALOT more miles on it, asked him if i paid askign price if he would throw in a jacket or at least discount it got not a chance as a reply*
Sounds like that dealer isn't that interested in selling motorcycles.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless it has to be new, there are steals in the used market. I means STEALS.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:39 AM
GetLost☠1982
Road Captain

I was in a dealer this weekend. They were willing to take about 3k off sticker, throw in a set of forward controls installed for a big discount and store the bike for the winter. The deals are out there. Just gotta go look for them. In comparison, guys up the road from me @ a different dealership won't budge on the STICKER of a leftover '08. Idiots.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:57 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Nick,
Unfortunately this is common in this area. When buying my first bike from the same dealer I did shop around the area at the other dealers. Found pretty much the same thing MSRP but the other two dealers were a lot higher on the freight and set up fees.

After shopping around I still ended up buying from this dealer twice.

Also sent you a PM