General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to buy a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 PM
matt25
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont like the deal they made. travel else where. end of story.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:30 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Was kinda hot on a bike at the local dealer. They made their pitch which included the trade-in of my bike. I told them I'd sleep on it overnight. This allowed me to cool down a bit and not rush to sign (not a bad rule to follow on major purchases). For about the next 2 weeks they kept calling with a better price and then a final offer. I ended up buying a pre-owned bike I liked better from a private owner, they know it, and still treat me exceptionally well. Remember this: there is always another bike/deal out there as good or better than the one you're considering. I've always followed that line of thought and it's proved to be right. When you are sure, buy!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:14 AM
GetLost☠1982
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

across the board on this one. There are two dealers in my area that have leftover FXDLs. I'm considering waiting until winter hits and they want to get rid of their leftovers. Right now they're saying sticker and that's the bottom line.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

4 '09s on Craigslist, here, just yesterday.

There are deals out there. Just keep looking, IF this one, isn't for you.

On the other hand, when the "ONE" comes up, be ready to MOVE !!!!

Bout the ONLY time I darken dealer's doors, FREE food, or parts run.
Not interested in their B.S. or their warranties. And IF I need a fancy aluminum pet bowl, I'll go to Petco.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't pay retail on either of my recent Harley purchases... but then again I didn't get a whole lot off either...

Right around retail is what you are going to pay...

Charlie D.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:45 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

It varies to be sure. the bitch about HD's is finding the right bike and the right price. If you are very specific in what you are after you might have to pay for it. If you are more general you can find a deal.

From my experience the MSRP thing is where all of them in my area start. When I bought mine I basically only got the cruise thrown in but they gave me a **** load for my trade. You have to look at the deal as a whole.

I do agree in this economy I would make offers and work from there. You can always come up if you choose to.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:23 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,247 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Amen.

Keep in mind, you are not just buying a bike, you're building a relationship. I have a great relationship with my local dealer, and it's worth a few bucks to me to have that. IMO, the question shouldn't be "How much can I squeeze these guys?" The question should be "How much is this whole thing worth to me?"

Frankly, I think the current MSRP prices are not that bad, and I got no problem paying them. There's a dealer in my area that "deals" more than others. I go to them last. The other dealers are better on other levels. YMMV.

Mark

What a crock of Bullshit
Ask em' how much out the door?

Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not accustomed to paying MSRP for vehicles so that would be a deal breaker for me too. I'm glad the dealer came down $1500-2000 on the bikes the wife and I own because we either wouldn't be riding, or even worse, we'd be riding metrics.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Depending on WHERE you live, and how many dealerships you can visit, in a day.
MSRP, is MSRP coast to coast, north to south. You can go to Harley's web page, and gather all the price information, except tags, title,taxes, which vary from state to state.

How much are YOU willing to pay for that bike?
How far will you travel for that "good deal"
Are you adding the cost of traveling? into the price of the new bike?

In my area, There are about a dozen dealerships withing a 1-1.5 hour ride. Each dealership has it's good, and bad points.

1 dealership has a $750 rebate on left over bikes
1 dealership has MSRP "out the door" on 2009-2010 bikes
1dealership adds chrome goodies to every bike, and charges you full pop for the sparkles AND the installation.

I went 70 miles away from my home, past 2 dealership, to get THIS bike, but if I was buying today... I'd go 70 miles in another direction. Things change from month to month. Deals change as each dealership struggles to make it's monthly quota.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have e-mailed dealers in other states and tried to deal over the internet.. I have had no luck at that..BUTT, a guy that works with me only deals over the internet.. makes his final offer over the phone and then goes and gets it.. He drove from Tn to a dealer in Pa. Got there about 3a.m and was at the dealer at 9a.m.. was back home about 11p.m that night with his bike.. has done the same with one before that but diff dealer.. buying a new bike is always a lot fun no matter how you do it.. lots of great stories around the campfire later..

Quick Reply: How to buy a Harley?