General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if i buy something from usa

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Plain and simple/ PST/GST along with duty (that depends on the country of origin and type of product) (any thing manufactured in Canada/USA/Mexico is duty free because of NAFTA you will also be responsible for any brokerage fees the carrier will charge. You can clear your own packages through customs (be your own broker) and save the brokerage fees. Being your own broker is really not complicated and could save you a ton of $$.

Read this

http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...rokerage-fees/

Last edited by 2kids3pets; 11-20-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Dragan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duty into Canada

Sorry...that isn't entirely accurate ( I work in the industry) it's NAFTA ( North American Free Trade Agreement) not MAFTA, and not all goods manufactured outside of Canada, but in the U.S. and Mexico are duty and tax free.
It is MUCH more complicated than that; the NAFTA eligibility documents are several three inch binders thick. Any CBSA office can tell you over the phone whether the specific item is NATFA exempt or not, and if not, what the duty and taxes payable will be.
Brokering the goods yourself will save you a bunch in the brokerage fees, however you have to be pro-active at the time of ordering; if you don't specifically deny their services, it is "assumed" that they will be clearing the item on your behalf and bill you accordingly

Old 11-20-2009, 08:47 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragan
Sorry...that isn't entirely accurate ( I work in the industry) it's NAFTA ( North American Free Trade Agreement) not MAFTA, and not all goods manufactured outside of Canada, but in the U.S. and Mexico are duty and tax free.
It is MUCH more complicated than that; the NAFTA eligibility documents are several three inch binders thick. Any CBSA office can tell you over the phone whether the specific item is NATFA exempt or not, and if not, what the duty and taxes payable will be.
Brokering the goods yourself will save you a bunch in the brokerage fees, however you have to be pro-active at the time of ordering; if you don't specifically deny their services, it is "assumed" that they will be clearing the item on your behalf and bill you accordingly

Thanks for pointing out the typo. (Gold Star for you) As far clearing a package yourself you can refuse the Package at delivery when UPS or FEDX delivers it and tell them at that time you want to clear it yourself...I have done this many time without issue. However I always contact the carrier as soon as I receive my tracking number and advise them I will be clearing the package myself but 9 times out of 10 they still show up at my front door only have me refuse the package and have it held for pick up...I just head down the next day and look after it.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:50 AM
roqueweiler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires from the states are subject to PST, GST and horrendous duty/tariffs. For example, on a $350 yokohama tire I will be charges $172 duty plus applicable taxes etc.

Best to find a local dealer

P