Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do at Red Lights that NEVER change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sucks being in California for this issue. I've had a number of times where I sat through 2 full cycles on a FLHRC and nothing. I just ran it after that.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I don't run the light in front of a cop, but after a couple of cycles, I'm gone. The cameras in my neck of the woods don't pick up turn lanes, only straight ahead, so I wouldn't get a ticket that way. Cameras? Oh yeah. Any way to get more revenue from the taxpayers in MD.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

IF I'm at a red light that is stuck, I sit thru two light cycles then look each way for safety and move on down the road.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cole
I got off my bike and walked to the crosswalk pole and pressed the button. It worked. cole
Not me. I'll give it one complete cycle, then I'm gone.
I didn't know there was a law like that til I read this thread, but in my heart I new the cops would not hassle me. If I did get a ticket that I had to fight, I'd be compelled to sue for lost pay if I had to go to court. And to make that suit worth my effort, I'd have to add to it for my inconvenience. They can't expect you to sit there all day and just camp out, can they? LOL

Not gonna stick a bunch of magnets on my bike either. Besides cost, it just ain't nothing I want to bugger up my bike with.
I like the idea of the fine metal shavings being drawn towards the drain plugs. A magnet stuck on the bottom of my bike might just draw the crap away from my drain plugs. Not gonna happen on my bike.

I have read that shutting of and restarting your bike might do something to trigger the light, but I have never tried that.

It is not often at all that I run into one of those lights.
Perhaps technology is advancing with the newer lights?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

i can think of 5 lights in our town is the same way.
i've seen the magnets that were supposed to fix that issue in catalogs for a couple yrs....
I used to work at Magna-Quench @GM and i have some of there magnets around. think I'll put some on to see if they really work..

Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 PM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is interested here is a product that does work if you have lights like this in your general riding area.

http://shop.techncyclegear.com/Green...ger-HP-GHP.htm

Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Turn lane,,Usually after 1 complete light change and still no light to turn I will go..
Straight across. I wait about a minute, then go when clear.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:45 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Have one at the end of my street, that's easy cuz I know it's there and it aint gonna change, so turn rt instead of left go about 100yds and make a legal u turn. But getting stuck at one when you don't expect it , hmm if a car's behind me I'd wave em up to get the weight on the sensor , no cars to do that guess I'd turn Rt and do the U turn thing if i could. Wife got a ticket in her car in Malibu by Pepperdine University for turning left on a left hand turn arrow that was green because there was a sign on the side of the street(not on the traffic light arm) that said no left hand turn between 7-10am , locals know it's there, 400 bucks to learn.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:50 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Around here, I do not think you have to stop for a red light. At almost every light 1-6 cadgers always run through the red light. So I pay more attention taking off from a green light. Man, hard to believe some days, it not right but it seems easier to "safely" run the red light.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I shoot them out, and then ride thru

Quick Reply: What to do at Red Lights that NEVER change?