Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do at Red Lights that NEVER change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
MaLfUnCtIoN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sit at the light for what I determine is a reasonable period of time and then look both ways and proceed.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cole
I got off my bike and walked to the crosswalk pole and pressed the button. It worked. cole
I did that once too, only because there was a cop sitting across the street looking at me. He then flashed his lights at me and motioned me through the intersection before the light turned green for me.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In South Carolina, Its leagle to turn left on red for motorcycles only unless otherwise posted. I belive they just passed this rule early this year.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hommes
Here in California our traffic lights are a real problem on many levels. First: they don't trip for motorcycles. Second: alot of them are monitored by high tech digital cameras complete with flash units. My son got his court appearance notice in the mail complete with 4 photos taken in all directions of the infraction. He hasn't got a chance to beat the rap. I could count the freckles on his face as he passed through the light. The fine will be $454.00 for running the red light.

I was thinking if i ever got into a situation where there was no chance to stop I might as well put one of my middle fingers up in the wind as I pass ttrough the light. Maybe the judge would get a kick out of it in court and throw out the case, yuh, right.....

I read the article about the magnets but I think here the lights are video activated. A year ago I got the idea it was about "visual mass". As riders we have a small surface area. So I tried this: when I'm about 1-2 hundred feet form a stop light I waive my arms over my head, kind of like when you're flagging someone down....although its a "looK mom, no hands" it really works!

I know, it's gotta look crazy to cagers but maybe they'll give us a little more room on the road as a result. Ride on...
As far as the cameras go, if your rear axle has crossed over the innermost crosswalk line (the second of two lines as you approach) you will not get photo ticketed.

I have a magnet on my bike and it doesnt work. Sometimes flasing your high beam at night will change the light.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:57 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have right on red. So I either turn right or I run it. Depends on traffic and how safe it is to cross traffic.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:21 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

As mentioned, I just rev my motor over and over to try to get the vibration to trip it. If that doesn't work, I back up and do a few hole shots to try to trip it. If that doesn't work, I get off the bike and jump up and down. If that doesn't work, I pull off to the side and wait for a car to come up and get behind it.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Most lights have magnetic sensors buried under the street just about even with the light pole. I had this problem near my house at one particular intersection. I now try and stop dead even with the light pole and usually this trips the sensor.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:35 PM
JnT4Life
Tourer

Law passed in Missouri this year that allows motorcycles and bicycles to run a red light after waiting a 'reasonable' amount of time. So you can run red lights as long as your wearing a helmet!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:39 PM
sml_hd
4th Gear

We have one in the city that won't turn when pulling up and sitting at the light. If I just turn the bike off and fire it back up the light will turn on the next cycle. Can't remember where I first heard this...but it works for me.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,528 Likes on 927 Posts

I have a magnet on one of my bikes. Snake Oil!

Quick Reply: What to do at Red Lights that NEVER change?