Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do at Red Lights that NEVER change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 676 Posts

I don't think I should have to put anything on my DOT certified bike to make anything installed by the DOT work

Depending on the situation, I:

1. Run the light after waiting a cycle or 2. I do this if there is no traffic around, I also may time it to run it during a green of opposing traffic where no one is coming.

2. Get off the bike and go press the walk button (if there is one). I usually do this if there is alot of traffic going the other ways, but none lining up where they would trip my signal.

3. If I can see the wires, make sure the bike is straddling one (as mentioned).

Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Haulen ***
I wait one cycle then just run it.
Same here

Originally Posted by piasspj
Turn right, then make a U-turn at the first opportunity.
Used to be one I'd occasionally get stuck at after work. It wasn't on a timed cycle at all, some times cars wouldn't trigger it (the highway could have green light for hours). There was one cop who would sit and wait for people to get fed up and run the red light.
Thats entrapment. If the light is known faulty, the city is obligated to fix it.

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
You don't need magnets. If you can see the wire in the ground, don't put your bike in the center of the box, put it directly over the wire on the right or left side, with your front wheel just past the end. This will trip the light almost every time. On the rare occasion it doesn't, run the light.
+1. This works for me 99% of the time. Rest of the time, wait one cycle, check traffic, yield right of way and cautiously run the light.

If you have a light that always fails to detect you, notify the DOT in your area.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My state just passed new laws .. bikers (including motorcycles) can run em after a bit with impunity from prosecution.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain

Here in Washington they passed a law about 2 years ago that says if a motorcycle doesn`t trip the light, you can sit through 2 cysles of the light and then proceed with caution, as if at a stop sign on a busy street. I tested this out at a light that wouldn`t trip. State cop pulled me over and asked why I didn`t wait for the light. I explained to him why and about the law. He agreed with me and let me go with just a "Ride Safe" parting....

Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Wallaby
Club Member

I swear first, check for the law, then run it!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

My experience is that a good strong magnet does work but only at some lights, not all. Putting the kickstand down on the corner of the wire (sensor) sometimes works, but not always. Running the frigging light always works! I would never never get off my bike to press a walk button! That is insane and dangerous, IMHO. I have talked to local LEO's and told them about the signals that do not trip for bikes and have been told to just blow the damn light! If the traffic engineers are setting the sensors so that motorcycles cannot trip them, then screw 'em - blow the light.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

When this happens to me, I always wave a dead chicken over it and chant, while balancing on one foot.
If this doesn't work, I just turn around and go home.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yankeeflyer72
Here in Washington they passed a law about 2 years ago that says if a motorcycle doesn`t trip the light, you can sit through 2 cysles of the light and then proceed with caution, as if at a stop sign on a busy street. I tested this out at a light that wouldn`t trip. State cop pulled me over and asked why I didn`t wait for the light. I explained to him why and about the law. He agreed with me and let me go with just a "Ride Safe" parting....
Fine and dandy, but two cycles of the light is meaningless in my neck of the woods. There ain't no cycles of the light at some intersections at night time. The light are programmed to stay green for the main drag until a vehicle large enough to trip it is stopped on the secondary street. A motorcycle could sit there for hours and never trip the light! The two cycle rule would not work at those lights, and I have one of them that I need to go through at the exit of my subdivision. Ain't no way to get out unless there is a car stopped at the light in front of me. Like I said, I just run the damn things.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:30 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a link that lists the states where you're allowed to run red lights. Keep in mind the article is a year and half old.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ght-laws_N.htm

South Carolina (2008), North Carolina (2007.), Wisconsin (2006), Idaho (2006) Arkansas (2005), Tennessee (2003) and Minnesota (2002).

Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes you can run a red light in Tennessee on a motorcycle, there is a little restriction in it, such as running a light that doesn't have a detector,, didn't know there were any left not that way now!!

T.C.A. 55-8-110
.(b) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of § 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle

Quick Reply: What to do at Red Lights that NEVER change?