Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do at Red Lights that NEVER change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I wait one cycle then just run it.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:42 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,263 Likes on 8,377 Posts

There's 1 light in town that won't trip for my bike. I wait one cycle then just run it.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 191 Posts

Turn right, then make a U-turn at the first opportunity.
Used to be one I'd occasionally get stuck at after work. It wasn't on a timed cycle at all, some times cars wouldn't trigger it (the highway could have green light for hours). There was one cop who would sit and wait for people to get fed up and run the red light.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a light in my neighborhood that I sat through for 3 lights before running it. I came home, read the article, (knowing hard drives have these "rare earth" magnets. I took apart 2 junk hard drives. Got the magnets out and used 2 sided tape to attach them to the bottom of the frame. went back out to the light and it tripped it first time.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:42 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Google your states motorcycle laws, here is ours in Wisconsin ......

When facing a red light, you may proceed CAUTIOUSLY through the intersection when the light is still red if ALL of the following conditions are present:

You reasonably believe the signal .is vehicle activated (if the signal is timed, you may not proceed through a red light no matter how long it takes to change to green);

No other vehicles are present .to activate the signal;
You have stopped at the signal .for at least 45 seconds; and,
You yield right-of-way to .vehicles proceeding through on a green signal and to pedestrians and bicycles in the crosswalk or intersection.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

You don't need magnets. If you can see the wire in the ground, don't put your bike in the center of the box, put it directly over the wire on the right or left side, with your front wheel just past the end. This will trip the light almost every time. On the rare occasion it doesn't, run the light.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

I just sit there and twist that throttle and turn some heads.
blu blublu blu blu blu blu....
Sorry I couldn't help South Parking this one. I sit one cycle and then run it.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you mean your supposed to stop at them fancy lights? i thought they where liek xmas lights and there for decoration

Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 AM
chairman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same law in Tennesse. It feels good to run a red light. Outlaw I guess.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red light renagades

Here in California our traffic lights are a real problem on many levels. First: they don't trip for motorcycles. Second: alot of them are monitored by high tech digital cameras complete with flash units. My son got his court appearance notice in the mail complete with 4 photos taken in all directions of the infraction. He hasn't got a chance to beat the rap. I could count the freckles on his face as he passed through the light. The fine will be $454.00 for running the red light.

I was thinking if i ever got into a situation where there was no chance to stop I might as well put one of my middle fingers up in the wind as I pass ttrough the light. Maybe the judge would get a kick out of it in court and throw out the case, yuh, right.....

I read the article about the magnets but I think here the lights are video activated. A year ago I got the idea it was about "visual mass". As riders we have a small surface area. So I tried this: when I'm about 1-2 hundred feet form a stop light I waive my arms over my head, kind of like when you're flagging someone down....although its a "looK mom, no hands" it really works!

I know, it's gotta look crazy to cagers but maybe they'll give us a little more room on the road as a result. Ride on...

Quick Reply: What to do at Red Lights that NEVER change?