General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Find Simple Traditional Saddlebags...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Find Simple Traditional Saddlebags...?

There's a ton of saddlebag threads. I keep reading them. But I can't find what I want. I know it exists, I've seen it here and there. But for some reason, I just can't seem to find it now.

I want a pair of leather saddlebags, kind of old-fashioned almost "equestrian" style. I don't like the bags that are built to stand up/out, like a piece of luggage. I like the kind that are soft and lay flat when not stuffed with junk. But very simple design. On top of that, I want to be able to slap a pair of Edge Brackets (like Ghost Brackets) on them, so I can take them on/off and substitute a larger set of hard bags (which I already have).

Doesn't anybody get what I'm saying? Any suggestions??? Please?

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. I will likely make my own over the winter -- I'm working on a leathercraft station in the basement -- but need something now.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine are just a set of old sportster bags... very basic and simple... and leather.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 PM
sprinter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean something like these? This place has some different ones.

http://www.leatherconnexion.com/Sadd...sic-P5C17.aspx

HTH,
Sprinter

Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

why not just go to a feed and tack store or something like that and pick up a set of saddlebags...you said those are the kid you're looking for so get them there..

Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Ghost brackets, Easy brackets, Edge brackets all have the bags spaced out. Sounds like what your looking for is a set of throwovers.
For traditional styling why not check some leather shops that make saddlebags for horses. Might have to alter them a bit.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestions. The leatherconnexxion bags look interesting, but none are quite what I am looking for. I looked at some equestrian sites, and some of the bags do look about right (some), but they are all made to be thrown over a dang horse...so they have this big throwover thing. I would have to cut that off etc. If I have to modify the darn things, I may as well just make some. Still, it's a good thought, and I may look further into it.

I like the old Sportster bags and may look for some of those.

In the meantime, any other ideas?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think what yr talkin about is just weatherd bags. if you get a pair of backs with out supports or braces in them and just leave them alone (let them get rain on them all that junk) they will eventually sag and look old just like yr talkin about

Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Big Driver
Intermediate

I took a set of throw over bags once and just cut the top part off and mounted them to some alluminum ghost brakets. looked pretty good because I didn't run a passenger seat and it looked real clean on top of the fender.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
I looked at some equestrian sites, and some of the bags do look about right (some), but they are all made to be thrown over a dang horse...so they have this big throwover thing. I would have to cut that off etc. If I have to modify the darn things, I may as well just make some. Still, it's a good thought, and I may look further into it.
Contact the manufacturer and see if they will make a set without the throwover flaps. You also will want stiffer and thicker backs on the bags if your going to use the brackets mentioned.
To make them as throwovers for a bike that big throwover thing is what you want, just shorter. Or if you buy ones for a horse you can cut the strap in half and tie them together.
Many of those shops are used to customized orders.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Here's a Pic of mine with Bags , I Put-Um on & Take-Um Off as Needed

Quick Reply: Help Find Simple Traditional Saddlebags...?