General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warming up on cold days

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Haulen ***
Don't forget to stretch... you dont wanna pull a hammy

What is a hammy? Does my Harley have a hammy? Where is the hammy on my Harley. Nobody told me my Harley has a hammy. Do all Harleys have a hammy? Do I have to lubricate my hammy? What oil?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your oil pressure, according to factory Harley Davidson specs is as follows: With a warm engine, oil pressure at cruising speed of 55 m.p.h. and up should be 30 - 36 p.s.i. At idle, at least 10 p.s.i. With initial start-up being around 44 p.s.i.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
cadman311
Club Member

Idle pressure at 10 PSI on kick stand is not the best thing for the life of your engine.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

about the only time i warm it up more than a few seconds is if its in the 20's or low 30's, rest of the time i fire it up and ride easy a block or two. one n a while i let it warm up idling just to listen to it. done it that way since the shovel.
my ride now is an 08 FXDF with 46,120 miles runs fine doesn't use a drop o oil and don't leak. But that's just my way, i have friends who are annal about warm ups, don't see any difference in results less you are gonna hammer it right off the start,

Old 11-18-2009, 10:53 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
Idle pressure at 10 PSI on kick stand is not the best thing for the life of your engine.
Why do you feel that way? You said, "Your oil pressure, according to factory Harley Davidson specs is as follows: With a warm engine, oil pressure at cruising speed of 55 m.p.h. and up should be 30 - 36 p.s.i. At idle, at least 10 p.s.i. With initial start-up being around 44 p.s.i. " which indicates the MOCO feels 10 PSI at idle is sufficient for the engine. What that tells me is 10 PSI is pushing enough oil to properly lubricate. I'm betting there is a safety factor in there so lower may work as well. The pressure doesn't lubricate, the proper amount of oil does. All the pressure tells you is there is enough "lift" to get the oil where it needs to go and returned to the tank. To the OP's original question, IT AIN'T GOING TO HURT YOUR BIKE TO LET IT IDLE A FEW MINUTES! Some traffic lights are longer than it takes to gear up!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 AM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karlmdog
No offense, but if you don't let it warm up on the jiffy stand, what's your alternative? You got a wheel chock mounted outside on the driveway to sit her in upright or you want to rig-up while straddling the bike? Throw her on the side stand, get yourself ready and enjoy the ride without sweating the small stuff.
Just get your butler or maid (who ever wanders by first) to sit on and keep it upright.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
cadman311
Club Member

Originally Posted by frog13
It'll lubricate just fine, all day long, on the kickstand.

For safety reasons, you might want to consider laying it on it's side while it warms up, keeps the wheels off the ground in case you knock it into gear. Sorry, couldn't resist!
You forgot about the statement (fine all day long). Old timer thing.

I hope you have fresh oil.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:21 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
You forgot about the statement (fine all day long). Old timer thing.

I hope you have fresh oil.
Actually, I meant all day long to be a relative term, if anyone took it seriously they probably should not operate any machinery, especially any that moves. Sort of if a man says to a woman, "We're going to f$%k all day long". We all know that's a very short day.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always let mine warm up for a few mins. before taking off. Its a carbed engine and has a choke. Always on the kickstand too. After it gets somewhat warmed up, I set the choke about 1/2 to 1/4 and off I go. Within the first mile or so I push the choke all the way in and forget about it. My ol '96 dosent like to run when cold. I call her a cold hearted bitch till she warms up.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:38 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

you should probably rock it from side to side to simulate riding conditions. is this question a joke??

Quick Reply: Warming up on cold days