General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts about Demo Day from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Nick1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thoughts about Demo Day from a newbie

Well I just got back from a two day demo ride event from Caliente Harley here in San Antonio. It was awesome. A little about me. I've been lurking on the site for months. I took the MSF course about 3 months ago and really wanted a Harley, but pussed and got a 750 metric to "practice". Bikes I rode: 1200 low, street bob, wide glide, heritage, fatboy, ultra glide. What I learned- the 1200 and both dynas- not a lot of difference in handling. Not for me. Ultra- a little too big. Heritage- nice ride. Fatboy- fit like a glove. I'm 40 and about 185. If I could buy today, it would definately be the fatboy low. If anyone is thinking of getting a Harley, find a place where there will be a demo day. Wait for it or drive to it. I was gonna buy a dyna, but now, almost positive a fatboy. Just my .02. My goal is to have the bike by Christmas- the challenge: convincing wife to buy bike by Christmas. Will keep you posted, thanks. N1.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 PM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Demo Days are fun aint they?? Cant really *ride* the bikes too much, but still fun.

Ive demo'd: Crossbones, Rocker, RoadGlide, Muscle.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only ever demo'd at Sturgis, interesting to try other rides.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Teagan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I should have went to that.....Good luck, I managed to get my bike as a Birthday Present. But my wife really hates picking out presents for me so it was an easy way out for her.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's how I made up my mind...I rode several different bikes and I really liked the Fat Bob but got the Classic due to two up riding most of the time. It was a good choice and maybe someday I can get the Fat Bob as Christmas gift! Hey, I can dream....

Old 11-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick1
Well I just got back from a two day demo ride event from Caliente Harley here in San Antonio. It was awesome. A little about me. I've been lurking on the site for months. I took the MSF course about 3 months ago and really wanted a Harley, but pussed and got a 750 metric to "practice".
Nothing to PUSS about. After I got my MSF I got a 750 Shadow. Great bike to learn and gain experience with before I went to the EGC. I know I would have dropped the EGC if I bought that first, and any HD is going to be a lot more valuable than any Shadow. As it is, nothing dropped yet

Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM
hogginit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Demo rides saved me a lot of money and are a freat way to seoarate the new tear model hype from reality. I had bought into the newest and bestest hype on the new models and fortunately had the oportunity to ride one in time to cancel my order. Decided instead to upgrademy 09 Ultra to 103 and add some other "goodies". I feel like I have a new bike, better than the 2010 offerings in performance, style and appearance.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Demo rides cost me. Went with my wife actually looking more for a bike for her. We went to a factory open house and each rode every bike, even those we were not interested in. I took the Ultra for a ride by myself, then with her on the back. When it came time for me to get a bike, we both knew what it would be.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:35 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Demo rides are awesome. That was the real decision maker for me between the Ultra and the Road Glide.

Now after I got my Ultra, I just go and ride all that I can. Lots of fun.

Last one I went to at Myers-Duren here in Tulsa, I rode up on my '09 Ultra and rode all that I could. The Harley group asked me why I was riding other bikes. I just told them, hey it's Saturday, sunny, and my girlfriend is busy...what's not to like about riding other bikes for free? They didn't mind though...

Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: Thoughts about Demo Day from a newbie