General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Lesson Learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:25 AM
NoVaThunder
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dumb Lesson Learned

Another option if you don't have a towel. I just turn the gas cap upside down and use that under the nozzle when I gotta go over the tank.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:32 AM
T Tommyt
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done it a few too many times and will again
and it still gets me just as pissed as it did the First time it happened

Old 07-11-2006, 12:38 AM
ronster
Road Master

gotta watch-over filled my tank- did not spill a drop until i got home and put on jiffy stand. noticed little puddle starting under my bike (new 06')freaked all the way oput until i realizeed it was gas coming out an overflow tube behind trans.- gave it the quick fix, jumped on and road 30mi. -at 3.19 per gal any on the ground is too much!

Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That really sucks!

Old 07-11-2006, 06:28 PM
jbe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The auto nozzle failed to shut off for me one time. Gas was everywhere. I could just picture by new bike with less than 200 mile burning. It did not, I cleaned it up. Lesson learned here; do not trust , or use, auto nozzle when filling bike.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:42 PM
King Rider
Cruiser

I did the same thing a week or so after I bought my bike. I am very attentive now when I am fillin up.

John...

Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I haven't done that on my Glide (yet!) I did it once on my Lowrider though, and boy was I ticked! We were riding to dinner with my wife's dad, and stopped at the Arco - AM/PM. Well for those who don't have them, their nozzles all have that accordian style thing on the end of the nozzle, and they won't pump until that is pushed all the way back. On my Lowrider, if I put the nozzle all the way it, it wouldn't pump, as it was brushing the bottom of the tank. So I would hold it with my hand whlie filling up slowly. Lifted my hand too fast, sprayed all over my jacked, bike, gloves, helmet. I ended up not going to dinner, and my wife went alone (in her car).

My Glide is a bit easier when it comes to filling it up, probably becuase it's in the cneter of the tank instead of on the side.....

Old 07-11-2006, 09:33 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You're going to get a drop or two on your tank over the years, some more, some less.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

I haven't done that on my Glide (yet!) I did it once on my Lowrider though, and boy was I ticked! We were riding to dinner with my wife's dad, and stopped at the Arco - AM/PM. Well for those who don't have them, their nozzles all have that accordian style thing on the end of the nozzle, and they won't pump until that is pushed all the way back. On my Lowrider, if I put the nozzle all the way it, it wouldn't pump, as it was brushing the bottom of the tank. So I would hold it with my hand whlie filling up slowly. Lifted my hand too fast, sprayed all over my jacked, bike, gloves, helmet. I ended up not going to dinner, and my wife went alone (in her car).

My Glide is a bit easier when it comes to filling it up, probably becuase it's in the cneter of the tank instead of on the side.....
We have those nozzles everywhere so I always have to hold them....so far been lucky and haven't gotten it all over yet.
Hubby managed to get his bike pretty good a few months back.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Little Di
Intermediate

Wow - I feel much better about life now that I know I'm not the only one this has happened to recently. Same thing happened to me Sunday, only there were PLENTY of witnesses to my stupidity! I didn't use the auto-fill lever, I just couldn't get the pump to shut the heck off.

It really sucks riding home covered in gas [:'(]

Quick Reply: Dumb Lesson Learned