General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to stay in New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
The safest place to stay & park your bike in New Orleans is probably Natchez, MS, or, maybe Gulfport.
LOL, +1 (and i say that being a new orleanian who still loves the city.)

if you want to stay in or around the quarter, even valet/on-site parking isnt going to be that safe a bet. Le Rich is one of the few places with free on-site parking, so i guess +1 for them.

a word of caution to any new visitor to NOLA: the roads in louisiana SUCK. when i say you can physically feel the difference as soon as you cross the state line, im not kidding or exaggerating. between building on sedimentary soil, tons of oak trees, and crooked politicians who "mismanage" money, the streets are truly terrible. adjust your shocks accordingly.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We recently stayed at the Westin right across from Harrahs. They have self parking in the garage for about 16 bucks I think. Not sure about security, we weren't on the bike. We used priceline and got it for about 100 bucks a night. On the same trip we moved down Canal to the Marriot. They have valet parking only and seemed very secure, but more expensive to park, maybe 25 bucks. I'm sure they would make arrangements for bikes. Also priceline for about a 100 bucks. Both nice places to stay only a few blocks from Bourbon Street.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
The safest place to stay & park your bike in New Orleans is probably Natchez, MS, or, maybe Gulfport.
LOL!!! Unfortunately lots of truth to this. Many of the large hotels in the CBD or french quarter have off street parking. Ritz-Carlton, Hilton, Westin come to mind. They may not be the cheapest, but you will have some peace of mind. There are also a couple of covered garages within walking distance of some of the smaller hotels. My advice would be to call a few hotels and ask about available parking. People in N.O. are overwhelmingly friendly and helpful.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 AM
UpOn2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to those who responded for the input. Looks like I'll make a few more phone calls. I made several before the post but didn't get much encouragement from the hotels I'd called. The several "LOL" replies leave me a little uneasy but I guess that's what insurance is for. Perhaps I should lower my deductible!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UpOn2
Thanks to those who responded for the input. Looks like I'll make a few more phone calls. I made several before the post but didn't get much encouragement from the hotels I'd called. The several "LOL" replies leave me a little uneasy but I guess that's what insurance is for. Perhaps I should lower my deductible!
im not sure i would be terribly worried about someone walking off with your bike from the french quarter, or even vandalizing it. it's more the accidental bumps from other vehicles (if you parked on the street) or people rummaging through your saddlebags that i would be wary of.

petty theft is pretty common in the quarter. wear your wallet on a chain or in your front pocket, and definitely dont leave anything on your bike, regardless of where you park.

NOLA isnt the cesspool that COPS and Girls Gone Wild make it out to be. so long as youre a smart tourist and dont go looking for trouble, im sure youll be fine.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 PM
kmac89
Tourer

I've stay a few times at the Prince Conti Hotel on Conti Street right in the heart of the French Quarter,check there website.A year after Katrina I paid $50 a night,next time I was down there it was $350 a night,the last time I was there it was $79 a night,parking was $20 a nite,even though your in the middle of the Quarter it was pretty quiet.
I quess the price depends what time of the year it is and what is going on.The time it was $350 there was a big musical festival going on

Old 11-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

If you want to try a Hotel that's unique and reasonably priced, check out the International House Hotel on 221 Camp Street. It's an easy block and half walk from the Quarter on the other side of Canal Street. All the fun of the Quarter, without the noise or inflated prices. I stayed there early October and was fairly impressed. There's self parking in the La Quinta garage next door for $15 a night. Though I had a rental car on the trip, I would have been relatively comfortable leaving my bike in the garage (cable lock it to your buddy's bikes). Be sure to check out Deanies Seafood on 841 Iberville St and try a NOLA Blonde beer. Also, ACME Oyster House 724 Iberville St, for awesome oysters, red beans & rice, jambalaya, etc.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Jon H
Road Master

All this talk about the great food has got me really hungry right now!
Have fun, it really is a lot of fun!
Jon

Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

Since we live in the city (the Midcity neighborhood) we don't stay in hotels--just park on the street somewhere when we go to the Quarter. Osiris is right--its not as bad as TV would make you think. I would think any hotel with covered parking would be fine for you. Take the normal precautions you would in any big city. We've lived here 12 years now and have never had any problems with someone messing with out cars or bike. I'm lucky to have a garage, a rarity in this old neighborhood. My neighbor leaves his Sporty in the street every night and no problems for him either.

By the way, have fun. Nearly all the folks that visit here love it and come back again (or move here like we did).