General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:04 PM
marcus84
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

I'm not going to link it because I want to put it behind me, but a few months ago I made a thread about how my dad wouldn't help me out w/buying a bike. In it you guys gave me a lot of good advice, much of which I didn't want to hear at the time but thinking about it you guys were right. I was going to spend too much money on a bike while I had too much outstanding debt. (I had $13,000 in credit card debt, currently knocked it down to around $1800 and I plan to keep it there or lower.) That being said, I've begun looking for a new full time job and if that happens, I may be getting an apartment with a friend of mine. However, I still want to ride. Badly. So I'm now thinking about buying a used Buell and learning on that for a year and if I can afford it, get a Sportster next spring. What do you guys think about this bike? It's a 2001 Buell Blast with 2505 miles and they are asking $2495.00. I have $500 right now that I can put down.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:06 PM
rap87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thanks

Not trying to be a buzz kill, but I would pay of the rest of your card and then save up and buy what you really want. What I have learned is that buying substitutes for what you really want, ends up being money wasted until you really get what you want. Save up the money and buy the sportster.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:18 PM
JamieCarr
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to agree,....that Buel and a sportster are WORLDS apart,.......make sure you get what you want........

Old 07-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Legendary6301
Cruiser

Dude,

Congrats on turning your life around. I'm not sure how much of a merchanic you are but check out this website. There are a ton of great bikes that are really cheap some that have no problems at all...good luck...

www.ridesafely.com

Old 07-10-2006, 05:27 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll politely disagree with Seth and Rap87 on getting the Buell. If you will be a new rider, I'd look into getting a used buell (many dealerships use them for the rider's edge courses and sell them fairly cheap). Practice on it for a while before getting the Sportster. My daughter just finished taking the Rider's Edge course and I am buying her a used Buell Blast for around $1500. She had never ridden before. If she bangs up the Buell a little and scratches it all up - no big deal. As far as the finances go, I'm pretty conservative and recommend paying off all the credit card debt. Every dollar of interest on the card is one less beer you can buy!

Old 07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

$2500 for a 5 yr Blast is too much. You can get one that old for less than 2k. If you want to start on them, they are real forgiving and low enough on power to be less dangerous. But look for a better deal.

Otherwise, get a starter (older) Sporty for about $3k and go from there. The extra $500 would be worth it in the long run.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rap87

Not trying to be a buzz kill, but I would pay of the rest of your card and then save up and buy what you really want. What I have learned is that buying substitutes for what you really want, ends up being money wasted until you really get what you want. Save up the money and buy the sportster.
I agree,good things com to those who wait

Old 07-10-2006, 06:11 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: marcus84

I'm not going to link it because I want to put it behind me, but a few months ago I made a thread about how my dad wouldn't help me out w/buying a bike. In it you guys gave me a lot of good advice, much of which I didn't want to hear at the time but thinking about it you guys were right. I was going to spend too much money on a bike while I had too much outstanding debt. (I had $13,000 in credit card debt, currently knocked it down to around $1800 and I plan to keep it there or lower.) That being said, I've begun looking for a new full time job and if that happens, I may be getting an apartment with a friend of mine. However, I still want to ride. Badly. So I'm now thinking about buying a used Buell and learning on that for a year and if I can afford it, get a Sportster next spring. What do you guys think about this bike? It's a 2001 Buell Blast with 2505 miles and they are asking $2495.00. I have $500 right now that I can put down.
I know you don't want to hear this but, make the debt go away to zero. Then evaluate the card you have and if it is a high intrest rate, close it. If it is a good rate, then keep it and try your best to pay off anything you put on it within the first payment month. (SAves on intrest) Save up some bucks, buy a used bike (I think you can get a better deal than that) Ride it and get your training out of the way and while doing that sock money away each month. When you are ready in a year or so, your credit will be good and you'll have the down payment for what you really want.

Hang in there buddy, you've made an excellent start. Don't give in now.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

13,000 down to 1800 is fantastic, you did real good. There are lots of folks out there that would rather be in your shoes as far as CC debt. Never heard anything bad about Buell's. I would first get rid of the 1800, tear up the cards, get your apt and then see how you stand after utilities and so on. Now you'll know what you can afford and can save up or get a loan for that. If your talking about getting something for just a year it may be worth waiting. Every time you buy and trade you usually loose money on the thing you bought, plus sales tax, license fees, fixing what needs fixed and the whole process to just have it and do it again that soon. I know, waiting another year is easier said than done but once your cc debt is gone you'll be able to afford a higher payment and possibly get what you wanted or close to it the first time. Anyway, good luck and great job paying off the bills.
Man, no offense, if i didn't know better i would swear i was answering my own son who did the same with the CC bills, paid them down mostly, wants an apt, a bike, oh and a Mustang GT. I had the same discussion with him this week!
Cheers

Old 07-10-2006, 08:38 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the Buell would be the perfect starter bike-light, easy to handle, takes plenty of abuse and asks for little in return. Also, they get 60-70 MPG, and the insurance is dirt cheap. I don't know what your daily driver is, but I made through college on a POS like that and saved a ton while doing it.

Quick Reply: Thanks