General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:40 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thanks

Lots of great advice here. Hopefully you will once again the advice.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:17 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You sound like a responsible guy. Paying down that debt was quite a feat. You are pretty much always going to be paying on SOMETHING being a grown-up. May as well go for it. Waiting for circumstances to improve is always a safe boring thing to do, but think of all the memories and good times you are giving up in the meantime. There are always gonna be better circumstances right around the corner, also wait for the next camera it will have more megapixels, wait for the next computer it will have more megahertz, wait for the next bike it will have reverse gear, wait for the next TV it will have more......etc. Just go for it, make some memories. Live your life.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marcus84, Right now it looks like you are making pretty damn good progress at getting your affairs in order. Keep it up until you are debt free. There is no need to rush. Must be a million used bikes out there, you're not gonna miss out on anything by not jumping now. You are close to a very worthy goal. Get it all settled, then turn yourself loose with a clear conscience and a good credit rating.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Motogo
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: rap87

Not trying to be a buzz kill, but I would pay of the rest of your card and then save up and buy what you really want. What I have learned is that buying substitutes for what you really want, ends up being money wasted until you really get what you want. Save up the money and buy the sportster.
I agree, Mostly because I have been guilty of it.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:40 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really adding too much other than, paying off ALL your credit card debt actually hurts your overall credit score. For some freakin bizarre reason, the credit agencies give you a higher credit score for maintaining a low balance and keeping on top of the payments. Just FYI.

As for the bike, ultimately it's a question that only you can answer...will you be happy with it, and is it something you could live with. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:57 AM
ronster
Road Master

man this is hard! i can feel for you and wanting a bike right away when you see a "good deal". i have had to wait 6 years after selling my last bike-85'yamaha maxium- to save and get the bike i wanted. even now i feel that i should have waited one more year. i just bought an 06' superglide- and i love it! but i look and think maybe i should have waited 1 more year and got a softtail. you sound like a big boy (you cranked up some pretty hefty debt on credit card) so no one can tell you what to do. you are on the right path the only thing i have to say is "don't settle" for a bike that is a good deal. do what you gotta do and pick out YOUR BIKE!!!
and by the way-everytime i ride my glide (my 1st harley) i love it more and more.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:03 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Marcus,

I remember your posts from a few months back. You've shown a lot of maturity by taking control of your CC debt. Dont' weaken now...stay on the path and pay off the CC. Regardless of the good / bad credit report issue you'll feel pretty danged good meeting the goal you set for yourself a while back.

Keep up the good work.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:20 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: FireHawk

ORIGINAL: marcus84

I'm not going to link it because I want to put it behind me, but a few months ago I made a thread about how my dad wouldn't help me out w/buying a bike. In it you guys gave me a lot of good advice, much of which I didn't want to hear at the time but thinking about it you guys were right. I was going to spend too much money on a bike while I had too much outstanding debt. (I had $13,000 in credit card debt, currently knocked it down to around $1800 and I plan to keep it there or lower.) That being said, I've begun looking for a new full time job and if that happens, I may be getting an apartment with a friend of mine. However, I still want to ride. Badly. So I'm now thinking about buying a used Buell and learning on that for a year and if I can afford it, get a Sportster next spring. What do you guys think about this bike? It's a 2001 Buell Blast with 2505 miles and they are asking $2495.00. I have $500 right now that I can put down.
I know you don't want to hear this but, make the debt go away to zero. Then evaluate the card you have and if it is a high intrest rate, close it. If it is a good rate, then keep it and try your best to pay off anything you put on it within the first payment month. (SAves on intrest) Save up some bucks, buy a used bike (I think you can get a better deal than that) Ride it and get your training out of the way and while doing that sock money away each month. When you are ready in a year or so, your credit will be good and you'll have the down payment for what you really want.

Hang in there buddy, you've made an excellent start. Don't give in now.
Closing credit card accounts in not a good idea. There is no reason to close them and it hurts your credit rating. Close too many and you could destroy your credit. When you get a credit score they look at how long you have your accounts open how many you have and what ratio to total to amount owed. So if you owe $1800 and have $15000 credit you are doing great. If you have $2000 of available credit and owe $1800 you score will be terrible.

Credit isn't bad. If you can afford it get a new sportster. I see ads in stores with very low payments on sportsters and there a lot of them there. Being in debt isn't bad. Being in too far in debt where you dead broke all the time is bad.

If people didn't charge things and put things on credit the country would go into a deep recession.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 AM
eazy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: atomic

Closing credit card accounts in not a good idea. There is no reason to close them and it hurts your credit rating. Close too many and you could destroy your credit. When you get a credit score they look at how long you have your accounts open how many you have and what ratio to total to amount owed. So if you owe $1800 and have $15000 credit you are doing great. If you have $2000 of available credit and owe $1800 you score will be terrible.

Credit isn't bad. If you can afford it get a new sportster. I see ads in stores with very low payments on sportsters and there a lot of them there. Being in debt isn't bad. Being in too far in debt where you dead broke all the time is bad.

If people didn't charge things and put things on credit the country would go into a deep recession.
But too many "revolving credit" accounts can hurt you as well. Don't close them all, unless you think that having the cards would tempt you into getting into trouble with them again.

You don't need ten+ cards either though.