General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some people just don't get it. maybe it's me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Some people just don't get it. maybe it's me!

The past few weeks have been a little rough for me. First, the balancing weight on the flexplate in my truck flew off. Two days later, one of the fan blades on my chevelle broke off and bounced around under the hood for a while. Two days after I replaced the flex plate, the transmission pump in the transmission went out. Long story short, I've been riding my bike exclusively for a while now. I ride it all year anyway, but now I no longer have much choice.

Even though it's cold and rainy, I've been riding my bike everywhere. Most everyone I work with and talk to seem to think I'm in a very bad situation. I don't mind riding my bike. In fact, I am almost glad I have an excuse to give everybody. It's cold and wet in SC. It sucks, but I still love riding my bike. It's not a toy to me. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it taking long trips on days off, but it gives me no displeasure to have to ride it even now. When it's cold, I dress up. When it's wet, I bring a change of clothes in the bags. It sometimes bothers me that people seem to think I ride it as a last resort. I would ride it anyway. It's hard to explain that to people that don't have the same passion I do for it. Maybe I'm just nuts or something, but if I have to ride to work when it's 20* out, it's worth it for the ride home. I love it.

Anyway, I guess this post is pretty meaningless. I'm just getting something off my chest. It could be the beer talking. Ha! My bike has not been trouble free by a long shot, but I love it anyway - maybe more than I should haha!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:07 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

You're preaching to the choir here. The folks that don't understand why you ride your bike, just don't understand. I think it is better to let is stay that way too. Keep them guessing.

Instead of a change of clothes, I highly recommend a rain suit. Mine keeps me dry even in hard rains.

The "check engine" light on my pickup has been on for over two years now. No need to worry about it as long as the Road King has gas in the tank.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:15 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Amen brother. I commute on mine and then take long trips on the weekend. Although I do avoid it if it's pouring out in the morning like today, but the option is always there if needed. Hope you use a windshield though. Could not ride mine everday without it.

Hey Carl, my check engine light in my old Subaru has been illuminated for 3 years. Who F'n cares as long as it still runs. Yep, as long as the Road King has gas in the tank. Hell you get twice the mileage anyway.

You know when I'm out on the highway and it's 29 degrees I don't see anyone else on their bikes. This country of ours is pretty much a nation of recreational motorcycle riders. I don't understand why a person would spend all that money just to ride it on the weekends. I come in to work sometimes numb from the cold and everyone just shakes their heads. They just don't understand that I commute on it because I love it.

Last edited by cromagnon; 11-11-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:37 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode exclusively for 3 years-30 mile commute to the New Orleans CBD. It gets kinda old answering people who ask "Are you crazy? Was it cold? Did you get wet?" Just goes with the territory. I do know that no matter what the weather, if I didn't ride to work, I always wish that I had.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:38 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do the ride to work and at work I get to ride my bike. I will ride year around and the only problem is with the ice and black ice on the roads. A little snow is not a big problem, with in a day or so the roads are clear up. It's all about the right riding gear.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
smif
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread too much, but do you guys that ride in all weather leave your bikes uncovered in the rain for 8-12 hours while at work?

I think I have more of a concern with storing the bike in the rain all day then I do with making the commute in bad weather.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Choice is what its all about...
Situations sometimes limits those choices.
Overcoming and adapting with the options we have is what we do to keep going.

Most people can exceed there limitations when they have too..

Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smif
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread too much, but do you guys that ride in all weather leave your bikes uncovered in the rain for 8-12 hours while at work?

I think I have more of a concern with storing the bike in the rain all day then I do with making the commute in bad weather.
You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who has problems resulting from rain. We wash them with water, many power wash and that is way worse than any rain could possibly be. My RK sits outside all day long, rain or shine, never a problem. I have an open air cleaner on my shovel, now you might get an issue with that after a real hard rain, but even that is miniscule, problem gone in a few seconds after starting. Normally, though, not to worry, rain keeps the dust off.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 AM
cole
Cruiser

All's I used to have for a seat on my bike was a couch pillow. When I stopped anywhere in the rain, I just took the pillow with me. She'll be OK in the rain. I'ts only water. cole

Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 AM
smif
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cole
All's I used to have for a seat on my bike was a couch pillow. When I stopped anywhere in the rain, I just took the pillow with me. She'll be OK in the rain. I'ts only water. cole
Its cloudy in the 40's here now with chance of showers. Working 3-11 today.....I'm ridin in!

Quick Reply: Some people just don't get it. maybe it's me!