General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it bikers, or people in general?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:38 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09flhtc
if you don't stop u r a POS end of story. I always stop no matter what kind of bike!
I stop for all bikes......

Old 11-09-2009, 02:42 PM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i stop for all. if only to lend a working cell phone. the level of respect in our country has dropped quite a bit over the years, and shows no sign of rebounding. i try to positively impact at least one person a day, and more if possible.

HD, Metric, auto, motorcycle, airplane or stranded pedestrian.... doesn't matter to me... everyone gets a personal vist, or if in a rush a quick call to 0, 911 or local PD to advise of stranded motorist. here in NYCity, pulling over can get ya killed.

rob

Old 11-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Ramona
Cruiser
Default Old school road manners...

Originally Posted by skidder
I alway's give them the ok sign, if they return with a thumb's up I roll on.
Same here....I expect nothing, don't complain about it, just help if I can.

What goes 'round, comes 'round

Old 11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure, I usually see the opposite. Mostly those who ride will stop and check. Especially if you are travelling alone. It's just THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Note: I have heard that a "universal sign" is to wrap a cloth around Left handle bars if you need help.

Not saying that you "need" to do this. This is just what I have heard particularly during big bike events.

Attached Thumbnails Is it bikers, or people in general?-mvc-054s.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 02:58 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member

Saturday afternoon I was heading South on 441 just a bit South of Boynton Beach Blvd... Two Harleys were stopped on the Northbound side of the road (four lane divided). They looked like they had things going but, as I passed, the first one got off his bike again. All I could think of to contribute was a cell phone (didn't have tools in the bag), so I turned around at the first op and putted up to the two Harleys.

The guy with the '81 shovel was having throttle cable problems and needed a flat screwdriver... didn't have that, but we found a rubber-padded clip for a flag pole (PGR) that was handily employed. They were able to chug up to a gas station a few miles up the road and fix the problem a bit more securely.

Brian (IIRC) was the name of one guy and I'm sorry I don't remember the second fellow... I was headed home, myself, after finding I had a short in my left brake light.

I always had English cars as a kid, so have a DEEPLY engrained sense of (call it "Brotherhood" if you wish, I prefer to think of it as "Misery Loves Company") mutual comraderie when it comes to certain things.

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Doesn't take long to stop, many times as your slowing down they will wave you on. I'll stop for just about any one sitting along the road.
There are a lot of riders out there that couldn't help if they did stop.

I once stopped for a couple on a Harley. They were sitting on an off ramp looking up and down the highway. They were obviously lost, I gave them directions and we talked for a few minutes. The guy noticed an engine sitting in the back of may truck and asked what kind it was. When I told him it was for a Kawasaki he copped an attitude and made a few comments but that's the worse thing that ever happened to me. Everyone else has appreciated that I stopped.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I concur with skidder, I give them a thumbs up, if I get one in return I wave and roll on. If not, I go to see if I can be of assistance, even if it's just to call someone for them on my cell.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Sounds like you were the only real biker out of 2,000. I always stop. The last time I stopped for somebody it was a Honda silverwing scooter.

Punch your man card 2x.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think many people are getting used to somebody else (usually the government) solving their problems for them that when they see someone possibly in need of assistance, they just look the other way as "they don't want to get involoved."

I always at least slow down if not stop and ask and have been able to give a hand a few times.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Saturday I was on a 300 mile ride out of town.Stopped at a small gas station in a small town to refuel.

There was a young (late 20's) couple having a problem with no juice to their starter on their Yamaha.

I asked if there was anything I could do for them and offered some advice on troubleshootin' it.
They were grateful and said thanks.

I sure would have felt lousey the rest of my ride if I hadn't tried to help.

Quick Reply: Is it bikers, or people in general?