General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 05:05 PM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....

I rented a RK for 7 days while I was in Hawaii on my honeymoon. My head never saw a helmet and I loved riding without one. My wife wore one the whole time. It was nice to have a choice. Now I'm back in NY with no choice again [:@] Would I wear one if it wasn't the law? Maybe maybe not but I like to think as adults we are capable of deciding what is best for us

Old 07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
firestar99
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe in a persons right to live free. That said I CHOOSE to wear a helmet because of the inherit danger of riding the most dangerous form of tranportation in the U.S. I rode with no helmet AT DATONA bike week and did love the freedom. But was truly uncomfortable at highway speeds. I have seen to many VERY MINOR wrecks turn into life long tragedies because the person didn't have a helmet. [&o]
A friend made a statement on a thursday during a club ride that if he had to wear a helmet he wouldn't ride. That saturday he was coming to a stop at an intersection, and his front tire lost traction in some gravel, and his bike went from under him. He hit his head hard enough to cause a concussion. Which led to a stroke that ended his 20 year law enforcement career. But he was right. He CAN'T ride anymore. The worst part was the bike had a broken front turn signal only, and he had NO other injuries what so ever. The doctor told him if he even had a cheap helmet it would of protected him enough to prevent the injury to his head.
BOTTOM LINE GUYS ENJOY YOURSELF NO MATTER WHAT YOU CHOOSE......

Old 07-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Hap_Hazard
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Finalcut

Yep... Riding with a helmet is like sex with a condom. It's great, but even better without it!
I ride with my helmet 95% of the time, and I am only getting better at keeping it on. Try not to get hooked on
that feeling, cause it's hard to go back once you ride naked.

Yep...and sex without a condom may cause the belly to swell.
Riding without a helmet may do the same thing to the head. It's all good, I guess.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:47 PM
earthdog
Tourer

Here in Wisconsin, most riders don't wear a helmet, unless your over 60 or ride a Goldwing.
2 weeks ago the wife and I rode over 850 miles in a weekend around Wisconsin and the only time we wore our full face helmets was the last hundred miles, at night when it got down to 45 degrees and was raining pretty good. In another week we are going on the cancer run from House of Harley, in Milwaukee up to Green Bay, and I'll bet you that 98% of the riders will NOT be wearing a helmet. But then I guess there are some here that will say 98% of the rides have no sense.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:22 AM
ALPHA MALE
Advanced

cool