General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....

ORIGINAL: billnourse

ORIGINAL: cutacroshorty

I've often wondered what difference in insurance cost would be if we all had to wear helmets like we do the safety belts?

A mandatory, very comprehensive rider's training program aimed at avoiding crashes would probably be more effective, and you do get a break on insurance if you have completed a rider's course.

Regards,

Bill
Seems to me then, that instead of wasting time and effort lobbying for helmet choice, we should be doubling our efforts and money toward lobbying efforts for better rider's training programs aimed at avoiding crashes and getting a break on our insurance. And, while we're at it, we should be working on getting stiffer penalties for those idiots that say "I didn't see that 895 pound bike with the 250 pound biker with all the lights and reflective material coming straight at me when I turned in front of them". Just think, a few years ago, it was funny to see your buddies drunk off their a$$'s, getting in their car and going down the road sideways. MADD rolled up their sleeves, went to work, and now, not only is not funny any more because we know better, but it's downright costly to your financial future. I don't see why we can't do the same if we just focus on something really important. THEN maybe folks would support legislation to allow helmet choice.

Just my .02.

Bill

Old 07-11-2006, 03:11 PM
MARCUSBEAR
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in sunny florida we do not have a manatory helmet law , u just need to have a medical insurance policy for $10,000.00 (which is what the helicopter ride to the hospital) always wondered if you were in a state that did not require a helmet would u still wear one , I wear a 1/2 during the summer and a 3/4 w/ a shield when it's cooler out .. truth be told I do ride once in a while without , it is nice to have the choice

Old 07-11-2006, 07:07 PM
RoadViking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HLS

Old 07-11-2006, 07:21 PM
powerman
Cruiser

It should be a choice not a law. They are trying to repeal it here in TN. I hope it passes.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

"I'll bet that she gives great helmet..."

Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Harley Al
Road Captain

I also like riding with out! but, we all know what else is hanging out there too!

I rode to the river run in Nevada and took the long way just to take the helmet off...it was nice to be free without the bucket!

Ride Safe!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MARCUSBEAR

Here in sunny florida we do not have a manatory helmet law , u just need to have a medical insurance policy for $10,000.00 (which is what the helicopter ride to the hospital) always wondered if you were in a state that did not require a helmet would u still wear one , I wear a 1/2 during the summer and a 3/4 w/ a shield when it's cooler out .. truth be told I do ride once in a while without , it is nice to have the choice
I live in Iowa, back in the 60s the feds held back highway funds untill Iowa passed the helmet law, we fought it and got it repealed. from the day we burned the helmet to celabrate our winning our freedom i have almost 96% of the time wore one, a full face, my choice to do so, I am a member of Abate..2 times now in the last 9 years a fullface has saved my life, or at least kept me from being brain-dead.. neither accident was my fault. as for wearing one when I do not have to, well I do, even when I come to Fl. to vist my daughter, thank God she lives there and I'm retired, got a good excuse to go down there. I never tell anybody but my grandchildren that they have to/should wear one, I do beleive in free choice..you really think teaching car/truck drivers are the answer?? might help, but maybe if we try to teach the motorcycle riders something that may help to?? Like I said, your choice, I made mine[sm=biker.gif]

Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bsea

ORIGINAL: billnourse

ORIGINAL: cutacroshorty

I've often wondered what difference in insurance cost would be if we all had to wear helmets like we do the safety belts?

A mandatory, very comprehensive rider's training program aimed at avoiding crashes would probably be more effective, and you do get a break on insurance if you have completed a rider's course.

Regards,

Bill
Seems to me then, that instead of wasting time and effort lobbying for helmet choice, we should be doubling our efforts and money toward lobbying efforts for better rider's training programs aimed at avoiding crashes and getting a break on our insurance. And, while we're at it, we should be working on getting stiffer penalties for those idiots that say "I didn't see that 895 pound bike with the 250 pound biker with all the lights and reflective material coming straight at me when I turned in front of them". Just think, a few years ago, it was funny to see your buddies drunk off their a$$'s, getting in their car and going down the road sideways. MADD rolled up their sleeves, went to work, and now, not only is not funny any more because we know better, but it's downright costly to your financial future. I don't see why we can't do the same if we just focus on something really important. THEN maybe folks would support legislation to allow helmet choice.

Just my .02.

Bill

I agree totally. If you kill someone because of your driving incompetence and failure to pay traffic regulations you deserve some time behind bars. They need to teach people who drive cars how to drive around motorcycles. I don't believe any of that BS that they don't see you. They turn left in front of you because they figure you won't hurt them.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Suburban28
Cruiser

I rode without most times before our Guvna made it law again. However, after observing my buddy go down at about 50mph and the scrape his helmet took, I'll wear it. I still think it should be up to the individual.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:05 PM
alabama1
Tourer

I have been tempted to ride without my helmet but so far i always come to my senses.

Quick Reply: I did something I said I wouldn't, I rode without a helmet.....